Filed under News, Showcase

Ivanka Trump’s Role in the White House

Ivanka+Trump
Ivanka Trump

Ivanka Trump

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

Ivanka Trump

Ivanka Trump, daughter of current President, Donald Trump, now formally has a government official role in the White House. Her husband, Jared Kushner, has also been hired with the same position in the country’s Capital, as assistant to the President. With these roles, Trump and Kushner have access to high-profile government information and have large political influence. Already, Ivanka has taken part in many important political happenings (including signing bills and making formal announcements at significant events), but many citizens are concerned with the ethical aspects of her employment.

Ivanka has worked in the past as a model and reality T.V. star before joining her family’s real estate business; she currently owns a fashion and lifestyle company named the Ivanka Trump Collection and co-owns the Trump Hotel with her siblings. However, she has had no professional experience in government in the past, with no expertise in diplomacy, nuclear proliferation, economic sanction, and other factors of politics. Many citizens are accusing her high-level position of nepotism, defined as “the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.” Ivanka has responded to these allegations with the statement: “I have heard the concerns some have with my advising the President in my personal capacity while voluntarily complying with all ethics rules, and I will instead serve as an unpaid employee in the White House Office, subject to all of the same rules as other federal employees.” Trump has been accepting no pay for her work, however, there has still been unease among Americans about how she otherwise personally benefits from her position. So far, Ivanka has been able to temporarily take her father’s place at the 2017 G20 summit (an international forum for many major nations), speak at a major event in Saudi Arabia to discuss extremism, and visit India to co-host in the annual Global Entrepreneurship Summit.

Along with these events, Ivanka has also met with Planned Parenthood executive in January 2017, published novel Women Who Work in May 2017, signed a Republican tax reform in December 2017, and visited Pyeongchang (a county in South Korea) for the Olympics in February 2018.

Admittingly, despite the lack of previous experience, Ivanka has been handling her senior role in the White House well. There has been some controversy on her attempt to be both a high-level government officer and “just a daughter,” as shown in her response to sensitive questions about her father; for example, when asked if she personally believed if the misconduct and scandal around the president was true, Ivanka responded, “I think it’s a pretty inappropriate question to ask a daughter if she believes the accusers of her father when he’s affirmatively stated there’s no truth to it. I don’t think that’s a question you would ask many other daughters.” Other than this case, and similar occurrences, Ivanka has shown responsibility in her position and has been making educated responses to the current political climate. The Trump daughter has even been nicknamed, “The Quiet Power Behind the Trump Throne,” by Politico Magazine for her work done so far.

Politico Magazine also discusses both Donald and Ivanka’s success despite their vastly different political approaches. While President Trump is known for his explicit, unfiltered statements given in conferences and announcements, Ivanka has established a more careful approach, referring to notes and written notices when delivering speeches. However, similar to her attempt to remain “just a daughter” and a developing powerful political figure, Ivanka is ambivalent in her personal beliefs and in her responses to press conference inquiries, which may come as a result of her insufficient political experience. In 2007, she supported Hillary Clinton’s democratic run for president before endorsing Mitt Romney in 2012; in 2013, Ivanka then hosted a fundraiser for Democratic senator Cory Booker. Currently, Ivanka actively supports her father in his actions, but avoids almost all scandal and intrinsics of policy with vague public statements. She explains, “I’m a businessperson, not a politician, so I’ll leave politics to other members of the family and the many, many people who are involved in the race on both sides.”

Ivanka’s employment in the White House is subject of much controversy among American citizens. Though her case is not the only time a President’s relative has been appointed in the country’s capital, Trump is the first to not have any political education and not be chosen by Americans; John F. Kennedy’s brother, for example, was nominated for position of attorney general, but he required authorization by the Senate to gain the role. Now it is difficult to predict how Ivanka’s political role will develop but, as President Trump’s term continues, citizens can view and analyze its growth while establishing their own personal opinions on the topic.