Filed under Features

Strange Disneyland Stories

that really makes you think, doesn't it?

via Wikimedia Commons, Pixabay

via Wikimedia Commons, Pixabay

Disneyland is known very well for its outrageous stories, some of them are just myths, while some of them have turned out to be true. Hauntings, accidents, and weird attractions have all become a huge part of its history. These are probably the most well known and possibly craziest stories the park has to offer.

The Matterhorn Haunting (Dolly’s Dip)- On January 3, 1984, 48 year old Dolly Regina suffered a brutal death on the Matterhorn Bobsleds at Disneyland. While on the ride Dolly’s seat belt came loose and as a result, Dolly was thrown from the ride and broke her neck on the track ahead. Dolly had laid there for only 30 seconds of excruciating pain before the next oncoming bobsled came and finished the job. Over 30 years later Disneyland cast members have claimed that they have the sense of being watched while at the same exact track that Dolly died on. On top of that, all the lights over the scene don’t seem to work regardless of changing the lightbulbs or wiring, almost as if her spirit is controlling the lights.

The People Mover Horror of 1980- A young Gerardo Gonzalez would soon learn the reason why Disneyland has rules to their rides the hard way. As a joke, Gerardo hopped off his car in the People Mover and attempted to run over to the next car in front of him. In a freak accident, Gerardo tripped over himself and was run over by the car he was just in. Gerardo died instantly due to the force of the oncoming car, but his mangled, bloody, and torn body was dragged 100+ feet along the track, which unfortunately happened to be outside in the open, for all the tourists to see. Thousands of tourists that day were most likely all scarred for life, and children were all watching as Gerardo Gonzalez rode the last ride of his life.

Mermaids on Finding Nemo- Walt Disney wanted a mermaid theme for his new submarine ride in Tomorrowland, so for his new attraction he had various women dressed up as  mermaids to sun themselves on rocks, swim, and talk with guests at Disneyland. This proved to be a terrible idea as sometimes the mermaids wouldn’t do their jobs correctly, or tourists would actually jump in the water to swim after the mermaids. This attraction was shut down a year after its opening, and has yet to be reopened.

The Rivers of America- Two ignorant teenage brothers decided to stay overnight at Tom Sawyer’s Island, but their nightly plans were put on hold when the two tried to swim across The Rivers of America after supposedly being chased off the island by ghosts. The older of the two drowned in the water, and the other teen claimed he had felt things grabbing for his legs that didn’t feel human after his brother drowned. Security cameras later caught them running through the island while being “chased” by strange lights that weren’t there in the morning. To this day the water exactly where the kid died ripples in the middle of the night.

Walt Disney never left Disneyland- One night a cast member was fulfilling her duty of turning the lamp off at Walt Disney’s. After turning the lamp off and walking out in front of the Firehouse on Main Street, the cast member had noticed the lamp had turned itself back on again. So, to make sure the lamp would stay off she unplugged it from the wall, but the lamp still stayed on, and the cast member heard the words “I’m still here” before the light turned off for the night.