Filed under Showcase, Sports

College Quarterbacks Entering the Draft

This year, many talented players such as Penn State halfback Saquon Barkley, Alabama defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick, and NC State defensive end Bradley Chubb are projected to go early in this year’s NFL draft. However, according to many experts, the position that has the most talent in this year’s draft are the quarterbacks. USC’s Sam Darnold, Wyoming’s Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Oklahoma’s Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield  have all declared for this year’s draft. Each of these players were the stars of their college team and are great leaders. Here are the strengths, weaknesses, and projections for all of these talented quarterbacks.

Sam Darnold– Many NFL experts such as Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks have Darnold listed as their number 1 pick. When looking at his physical built, Darnold is one of the strongest of all the QBs entering the draft. The USC graduate is 6 foot 4 inches tall and weighs around 220 pounds. Sam Darnold has fantastic ball placement and takes a lot of risks, which can been seen in a good and bad thing. Darnold’s mobility helps him get out of tough situations in the pocket. They way he can throw the ball to the back of the end zone and the way he can splits coverages makes him a solid NFL prospect. Also, his 2017 Rose Bowl performance showed that he has what it takes to throw for touchdowns and yardage. However, Darnold’s ball security was his main problem in this past season. He had 24 combined interceptions and fumbles making him one of the most turnover vulnerable players in the draft. After looking over this all, Darnold’s poise and raw talent makes him one of the most reliable picks in the draft.

Josh Allen– Like Darnold, Allen has the physical build of a NFL quarterback. Well known sports expert Mel Kiper had him as the number 1 pick in the draft. Allen is extremely athletic and is a big time playmaker. Unlike Mayfield, Darnold, and Rosen, Josh Allen came from Wyoming, a smaller school. Also, the Wyoming QB has incredible arm strength that allows him to make the deep throws. Because of the fact that he went to a small school and because of his great arm strength Allen is drawing comparisons to Eagles QB Carson Wentz. Even though Allen has amazing talent, his inconsistent throws, turnover problems, and completion percentage (56%) makes him a risky pick in the top 3 or 5. All in all, Josh Allen is a big hit or miss type of guy that could be a franchise quarterback.

Josh Rosen– Throughout his 3 years at UCLA, Rosen has played 30 games and has thrown 9,340 yards and 59 touchdowns. One major concern about Rosen is that he is extremely injury prone which limited his college appearances. Some of Rosen’s main strengths are his cannon for an arm and throwing under pressure.Often times, he combines these two strengths which result in him having 4-5 touchdown games. However Rosen’s good games at LA, weren’t because of his arm strength, but rather because of his accuracy. He was phenomenal in these games which allowed him to feel more comfortable in the pocket and make better decisions. Making good decisions has always been a problem for Rosen who has thrown 26 interceptions in 30 games. He often forces the ball into tight spaces that only stars like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady do which causes deflected and intercepted passes. Rosen has great talent but his large amount of injuries will hurt his draft value.

Baker Mayfield– Last and certainly not least we have Heisman trophy winner Baker Mayfield. In his 3 years at Oklahoma, Mayfield has put up historic numbers like 12,292 yards and a stunning 119 touchdowns. Mayfield is known to be a great leader but has had off the field problems and is known to be arrogant. Recently, he said he isn’t cocky but confident. Despite his personal issues, Mayfield has the better accuracy than anyone else in the draft. Also, he rarely turns over the ball which gives him the advantage against guys like Darnold and Allen. Out of all the quarterbacks that are serious NFL prospects, Mayfield has had the most success in college and has more experience in upper level football. The main issue about Mayfield is his size which is a big aspect that scouts from around the NFL look at. He is already drawing comparisons to future NFL hall of famer Drew Brees. Even though Mayfield doesn’t look the part, he could easily be the Deshaun Watson of this year’s NFL draft.

These future NFL quarterbacks all are going in the first round and have high expectations. The way they adjust and work on their weaknesses will decide who succeeds and who doesn’t.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “College Quarterbacks Entering the Draft”

1. Mr. Aronson on March 28th, 2018 8:17 am

Great article! Sums up the top QBs nicely. As a Packers and Bruins fan, I love the Rosen to Rodgers comparison.

2. Mrs. Kling on March 28th, 2018 1:52 pm

I hope that Saquon Barkley gets picked by the Giants or the Broncos.

*

College Quarterbacks Entering the Draft