Team USA in the Winter Olympics

via Pixabay

via Pixabay

The 2018 Winter Olympics was held in PyeongChang, and team USA did well and made many historical moments to be remembered. Many different sports were competed in this winter Olympics, including Airplane Skiing and the Biathlon. Other competitive sports that took place in the Winter Olympics include Bobsledding, Cross-Country Skiing, Curling, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Ice Hockey, Long Track Speed Skating, Luge, Nordic Combined, Short Track Speed Skating, Skeleton, Ski Jumping, and Snowboarding. Norway was able to hold the top medals, but team USA had tried to win more and finished in top 5.

Some of the gold winners of the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics for team USA were Jamie Anderson in women’s snowboarding, Jessica Diggins and Kikkan Randall for the women’s cross country skiing, and Shaun White in men’s snowboard halfpipe. Although there were many other gold winners this Olympics, these were only a few of the amazing competitors that have helped lead team USA to a win. Red Gerard was the first to bring home the gold for team USA in the 2018 Olympics competing in men’s slopestyle snowboarding. At just 17 years old, Gerard was the youngest American to ever win a gold medal at the Winter Olympics.

Team USA achieved many things during the 2018 PyeongChang Olympics. For example, Jessica Diggins and Kikkan Randall competed in the women’s cross country skiing, and were the first to win in this competition for USA! Many of the youngest American competitors had also completed, Chloe Kim, the youngest woman to win an Olympic snowboarding gold medal, and Red Gerard, both just 17 years old. Shaun White won a gold medal in men’s snowboarding; this gold medal was the 100th gold medal team USA has won in the Olympics. Many people during the Olympics made history for team USA, and these historical moments helped the team out for the better.

Through the fun and enjoyment of watching the Olympics and winning medals, there was also a downside to competing. On February 14, 16 people were injured on team USA, just because of the wind. The wind was delaying the times of the events, this had made it difficult for the competitors and made it a challenge to stay standing. Although there were many dangers lying on the road to victory, there was still a chance to win.

The 2018 Winter Olympics held in PyeongChang was a season to be remembered for the United States. From getting gold, silver, and bronze and the youngest US competitors competing, there were many things that are not to be forgotten.  Through all the dangers and different winter sports that were competed in, USA had stood strong, tried their hardest, and even won the competitions.