Filed under Sports

2018 Winter Olympic Highlights

2018 Winter Olympic Highlights

The Winter Olympics symbol.

The Winter Olympics symbol.

via Pixabay

The Winter Olympics symbol.

via Pixabay

via Pixabay

The Winter Olympics symbol.

The 2018 Olympics in Pyeongchang, Korea marks the 23rd ever Winter Olympics. The Opening Ceremony carried a theme of peace throughout the event. Many were concerned about the forecasted freezing temperatures, especially in the roofless stadium. In fact each spectator was given hand and feet warmers, a wool hat, a poncho, a blanket, and a heated seat cushion, but it turned out to be only 28 degrees fahrenheit. Nearly 3,000 athletes from around the world entered the Pyeongchang Olympic Stadium during the march of nations. Pita Taufatofua, the Tongan flag bearer was covered in oil that became an internet sensation in the 2016 Rio Olympics. He appeared again,still without a shirt, at the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics despite the near freezing temperatures. For the first time in the March of Nations (which was ordered by the Korean alphabet), both North and South Korea marched in under an unified flag. Also worth mentioning, Russia did not attend the March of Nations, or even the olympics this year due to a nation-wide doping scandal. Some Russian athletes were allowed to compete after proving they did not cheat and compete as the “Olympic Athletes from Russia” and under the Olympic flag and banner. The United States sent 244 athletes this year, the most any nation has ever sent to the Winter Olympics. The Ceremony included stunning firework displays, thousands of drones that flew in an Olympic rings, and 1,300 performers and 700 volunteers. The final Olympic torch was light by South Korean figure skater, Yuna Kim.

In the women’s short program, Russian skater Medvedeva broke her own world record with an amazing 81.61 score only to have it broken minutes later by Zagitova who received an 82.92. In Men’s Ice Hockey, the Czech Republic eliminated the United States in the quarterfinals in a 3-2 shootout. The U.S. Women’s Hockey team won gold in the finals, 3-2 against Canada. The last time they won gold was in 1988. American Lindsey Vonn scored a bronze medal in the Downhill during her final Olympic race. During the winter Biathlon, Fourcade of France and Schempp of Germany both finished the 15km race with exactly the same time at 35:47.3, but after a photo review, Fourscade was declared a winner because of his lunging left foot, centimeters over the finish line. This year, Norway currently has the largest medal count at 35 total. Germany has 25 medals, Canada has 24, The United States is in 4th place for the medal count with 21 medals.

Jason M., Co-Editor in Chief

Jason M. is currently an 8th grader at Kraemer Middle School and is taking newspaper, library aid, and ASB as his electives. He hopes to attend Valencia...