The Parkland School Shooting

The Parkland School Shooting

An officer visits a survivor of the Parkland, Florida school shooting

On February 14, a tragic school shooting occurred in Florida’s “safest city,” Parkland, Florida. This school is named Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The shooter was 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, who had carried a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle, and killed 17 high school students. Cruz arrived at the school at around 2:20 PM via Uber. He then entered the hallways, started shooting in 5 classrooms and got away by blending in with other fleeing students. After the shooting, Cruz stopped at McDonald’s and Subway and was caught walking on a street appearing to be an innocent high schooler. An officer named Michael Leonard saw Nikolas on the street and later stated, “He looked like a typical high school student, and for a quick moment I thought, could this be the person who I need to stop?” This tragic event shook the world and struck fear into many schools. Here at Kraemer Middle School, there was an announcement that talked about the shooting, how bad it really was, and the effects these shootings are having on the United States.

After this tragic shooting, three of the ten most deadliest shootings in modern US history have occurred in the last 5 months. This shows how terrorism is changing and just how crooked some people just are. On an average day, there is a whopping 96 Americans a day that are killed by a gun. In addition, there are about 13,000 gun homicides a year in the United States. In 2015, there were 372 mass shootings a year, killing 475 people and wounding just under 1900. Since the beginning of 2018, shooters have developed a new method for killing: School shootings. This year, there have been 18 school shootings after the one in Parkland, Florida. Even in the past 5 years, the amount of school shootings has rapidly grown. Since 2013 there has been a school shooting every week. This year, there is one for every two and a half days.

The victims of the shootings are mostly children; some staff members have proved to be heroes. There have been a couple of instances in which a staff member has saved a child’s life and given up their own. For instance, at the recent Florida shooting, a teacher named Mr. Beigel let a 14-year-old student into a classroom before him and saved his life. However, because of his heroic act, Mr. Beigel died from a smoky haze that is deadly to humans.

All in all, shootings are a deadly form of terrorism that kills thousands each year. Even though there has been an increasing amount shootings per year, they can still be stopped. Hopefully, the amount of school shooting will soon decrease to save the lives of thousands.

Andrew H., Reporter

Andrew H. is a seventh grader that attends Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subjects so far are Language Arts and Science. Outside of school Andrew...