The Problem With School Shootings

Students protesting the lack of action within the United States government.

via Flickr

via Flickr

On Wednesday, February 14, America was exposed, once again, to the danger of school shootings. Although this problem has existed for decades, and arguments against gun control pop up, they eventually die down. The endless cycle of innocent deaths just continues and the government seems to do nothing about it. Of course, possible solutions were brought up, such as door locks, but the question remains. Will any of these preparations be enough to protect schools from shootings?

Since the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting back in 2012, there has been up to 400 deaths caused by school shooters. This averages to five school shootings per month with the casualties growing every year. These numbers do not only bring the terrifying reality of the safety on school campuses, but also shows how the government hasn’t shown major changes. On February 20, students from all over the country came and began to protest against the gun laws that allows a citizen to buy an automatic weapon legally. President Trump has met with the victims of the recent shooting and has brought up the idea of arming teachers across the country with weapons. The idea of arming teachers didn’t appeal to many, due to the countless procedures that must be taken before that. Teachers would have to take on the stress of taking a person’s life when they should be focused on teaching.

Another option would be to get rid of semi-automatic guns in general. Recently, there have been situations in which a gun could be classified as legal if the grip is not plastic. Guns with large magazines can be considered legal if there are slight modifications, but still provide the same lethality. There is no reason for guns with such large capacities to be sold to the general public even if it strictly meant for sports. In this case, people should only be able to use these guns only in designated areas and should not be able to take them home. The potential risk of the weapon falling into the wrong hands is too high and should not be able for the general public to hold power over.

The National Rifle Association suggests that shootings only occur due to mental cases because weapons fall into the wrong hands. They also suggest that a mental test is taken on everyone that wants to own a firearm. This would supposedly only allow the sane to own guns, but this plan may not always work. The risk of it falling into irresponsible hands would be too high and therefore not guarantee gun control safety.

Over the course of history, guns were made to do one job, kill. Although people may argue that most guns are used as part of sports, the deaths caused by these guns say otherwise. If guns with large ammo capacities were just banned from America it would make it harder for mass school shootings to take place.