Shaun White gets Third Olympic Gold

Shaun White gets Third Olympic Gold

Shaun White snowboarding

Shaun White snowboarding

via Flickr

Shaun White snowboarding

via Flickr

via Flickr

Shaun White snowboarding

On Wednesday, February 14th, 31-year-old Shaun White got his third Olympic gold medal. Shaun White was born on September 3, 1986, in San Diego California. He is a well known professional American snowboarder. White is also an amazing skateboarder. He has a record for the most X-Games gold medals. Additionally, White has won 10 Excellence in Sports Performance yearly awards, also known as, ESPY awards.

White received his first Olympic gold in Turin, Italy in 2006 as a 19-year-old. Then, he got his second Olympic gold medal in Vancouver, Canada in 2010. Now, eight years later, White has received his third Olympic gold in the men’s halfpipe. Additionally, his victory was the United States’ 100th gold medal reaching second most gold medals trailing after Norway. Before, the women’s giant slalom got postponed due to the high winds. The United States came with 96 gold medals. There were four gold medals until they reached 100, and all of it has so far been won in snowboarding. As of Wednesday, February 24 White is now the second most successful male US winter Olympian.

While training for PyeongChang in October, White crashed on the halfpipe and experienced serious facial injuries. Due to this injury, he had to get 62 stitches. White’s coach, JJ Thomas, was with him through it all and knew he could get through it. Thomas knew that if anyone in the world could have the mental strength to get through this situation it would be White. White came back strong with his third Olympic gold medal. He scored 98.50 out of 100 for qualifying and was able to keep it with a score of 94.25 in the final on Wednesday. One of his other competitors, Hirano, had a great performance as well, which included some of the hardest tricks known in snowboarding. In run two, Hirano scored 95.25. However, in White’s second run, he fell but was able to get a score of 97.75.

White has received lots of encouragement from many other Olympic athletes including, swimmer Michael Phelps, sprinter Michael Johnson, and gymnast Nadia Comaneci. White had to pull off the best performance of his life to get his Olympic gold. Although this took a lot of physical strength, it also took a lot of mental strength. White had the strength to persevere through the many hardships he had experienced.

Krista K., Reporter

Krista K. is an 8th grader currently attending Kraemer Middle School. Her favorite subjects are social studies with Mrs. Collins and science with Mr. Christiansen...