Filed under Opinion

Are Child Beauty Pageants Bad?

A Child Beauty Pageant

A Child Beauty Pageant

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

A Child Beauty Pageant

Beauty pageants have been around since the late 1800s. Little Miss America is one of the most popular child beauty pageants. Starting in 1961, Little Miss America featured girls between ages of five to ten. These girls were judged on their beauty, personality, charm and poise. Around 250,000 young girls are involved in beauty pageants each year. Each week girls from all over America would come to try to win the title of Little Miss America, but it is bad to put children through all this trouble just for a title?

There are many reasons why people think negatively about child beauty pageants. One of them being, it can cause the girls to have low self-esteem, eating disorders, and depression, especially if they don’t win or place. Beauty pageants teach girls at a young age that they have to be skinny, wear make up, high heels, and padded bras to be accepted or liked in society. Since they were exposed to all the beauty standards at a young age, makeup and heels is all they know. Girls in beauty pageants are forced to grow up too fast.

Another reason why beauty pageants are bad for little girls, is that some five to ten year olds don’t want to participate in the pageants and are forced to by their parents. Girls are buried in makeup and hair spray for something they don’t want to do. Sometimes girls can be put into revealing costumes for a showcase at a young age and may be way too inappropriate for a little girl, but they don’t protest because they don’t know any better.  Some countries have gone to the extent of banning child beauty pageants.

Beauty pageants are also extremely expensive for parents to pay. Entry fees can be up to $400 and about $4,000 in dresses alone. In addition tanning sessions, speech couches, voice coaches, bathing suits, talents costumes, accessories and much more. Parents can pay thousands of dollars all in one pageant and there is still a chance of the child not winning and not getting the prizes.

Overall, child beauty pageants should stop since it can have very negative consequences like low self esteem, depression and eating disorders. It also forces some girls into doing thing they don’t want to do and wear something they don’t like. There has got to be a better way to instill confidence in young girls and provide them with competitive opportunities that don’t take advantage of their innocence.