Filed under Campus Life

Mathcounts

Different math symbols

Different math symbols

case.ntu.edu.tw

case.ntu.edu.tw

Different math symbols

The annual Mathcounts is a fun math competition that Kraemer Middle School attends at UCI every February, and is an exciting Kraemer club that meets after school on Wednesdays in Mrs. Chew’s classroom, room 302. If someone likes competition math or wants to get better at it, they should join Mathcounts, where they are bound to see improvement.

In Mathcounts, students solve a series of math questions in different sections, and the topics are all random. The first round is the sprint round. In the sprint round, students have 40 minutes to solve a 30 question exam, and the difficulty of the problems progressively increase as problem number increases. Calculators are not allowed in this round, so competitors must solve all problems with pencil and paper. After the sprint round comes the target round. This section of the competition consists of 8 problems, but there is a catch. These problems are given in pairs, and students have 6 minutes to solve each pair of problems. After the 6 minutes are over, the pair is collected, and a new pair is given to solve in another 6 minutes. All 8 questions are given in pairs, meaning there are 4 sets of 2 questions. The questions in the target round, just like the questions in the sprint round, get progressively harder, number 1 usually being the easiest and question 8 usually being the hardest. Calculators are allowed in the target round, giving students an advantage over time. Last comes the team round. In this section, teams of 4 students are given 20 minutes to solve a set of 10 questions, each student having access to a calculator. After all 3 sections of the test are over, scores are calculated based on each individual competitor’s performance. The top 25%, no more than 10, go to the 4th round, the countdown round. In this section, students go head to head in a battle, where 1 question is given at a time, and students must ring a bell to answer. First person to get 2 questions right first move up on the bracket. When there are only 2 competitors left, the first person to get 3 questions right wins the competition.

Mathcounts is a really fun event that is widely looked forward to in Kraemer’s math community. Mathcounts not only improves your math solving ability, but also leaves students with  memories they won’t forget.