Highest Grossing Movies Worldwide

Avatar+logo
Avatar logo

Avatar logo

via Wikimedia commons

via Wikimedia commons

Avatar logo

Watching movies is one of biggest things people do for entertainment.  Movies are given budgets by the companies who invest in them and their goal is to get more money than they invested. Although many movies do not complete the goal of the investor, other movies have passed the goal of the investor with millions and millions of dollars.

The movie, Avatar ranks first in worldwide grossing movies with a total of $2,787,965,087  dollars. This sci-fi fantasy film was released in December 18, 2009 and its budget was $237 million dollars. The plot of this blockbuster movie is located in the future where humans are colonizing on a  moon called Pandora. However there are humanoid creatures who live on Pandora and in an attempt to communicate with these creatures, avatars that look just like the humanoid creatures were made by humans. These avatars were controlled by humans and they were sent to gather information about the creatures. However, problems and conflicts emerge between the humans and the humanoid creatures and they eventually fight for Pandora.

Titanic ranks second and has a gross of $2,187,463,944 billion  dollars. The movie was released in December 19, 1997 and it had a budget of $200 million dollars. Titanic is a disaster and drama film based on the true story of the Titanic in 1912. The storyline of the movie is about a relationship between a rich lady aristocrat and a poor artist. Although the movie is based on a true story, the characters and the plot are all created by the writer.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has the third highest gross which equals about $2,068,223,624  dollars worldwide. It is the seventh movie of much loved movie series Star Wars and it was released on December 18, 2015. The budget for this movie was $245 million dollars and the story takes place thirty two years from the sixth movie in the series. The Force Awakens is about a scavenger and a defector of the First Order fighting against the First Order to find peace in the galaxy. The First Order is an organization who wants to gain control of the galaxy through military dictatorship.

The fourth highest gross goes to the movie, Jurassic World. This thriller sci-fi film was released in June 12, 2015 and got a gross of $1,671,713,208  dollars. The budget for Jurassic World was around $150 million dollars and it starred Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard. Jurassic World’s plot is about a resort that contains genetically engineered dinosaurs and when a dinosaur escapes its habitat, it sets off a domino effect. Chris Pratt, who acts as an animal expert, must stop the dinosaurs’ attacks against people.

Avatar, Titanic, Star Wars: Force Awakens and Jurassic World are the top of the top movies that grossed more money than their budgets. These movies are wonderful, breathtaking, and very entertaining to watch. However, new movies are released everyday and movie lovers can not wait for the next highest grossing, blockbuster movie.