The Flu Outbreak

Flu+vaccine
Flu vaccine

Flu vaccine

Flu vaccine

This year, the flu season has been at its worst. This strain of influenza is especially strong and many aren’t taking the needed precautions such as getting the flu shot. The flu shot has been a debatable topic because most think it either doesn’t help or infects people with the flu. It has not been this severe for a decade. Many children and adults are dying. At the beginning of January, about 53 children this year have died from the flu. Alyssa Alcaraz and Nico Mallozzi are young children who had their whole life ahead of them. Their features could have been great, but they would never experience it. Sadly they both died from the flu.

Alyssa Alcaraz was described as a bubbly and happy 12-year-old. She went to school daily and lived her life like any other 12-year-old. But in mid-December, her family rushed her to a local urgent care in California. After doctors took a look at her, they diagnosed her with the flu. They then sent her home with cough syrup, ibuprofen, and nausea medicine. She tried to recover for a few days but she got worse rather than better. Her family took her back to the hospital, but this time, a doctor realized that her oxygen levels were very low. After being transferred to another hospital, Alyssa went into cardiac arrest. On December 17, 2017, Alyssa died. Her family was very upset because she had been misdiagnosed. It turned out to be a strep blood infection, and all she needed was the right antibiotics and she would still be here.

10-year-old Nico Mallozzi played hockey. He was energetic and healthy but after being diagnosed with the flu, he took medicine and seemed well enough to play a hockey game. After the game, his mother realized, he wasn’t better. He was worse. She called 911 and he was taken to a hospital. Nico later passed. He seemed ok when they left for New York with his hockey team, but his health just deteriorated from there. His older brother who was 12, was also in the hospital, but he appears to be recovering well.

These are just two of the lives taken by this year’s flu epidemic. Sadly, many more have already been taken. It is predicted that with this particular strain of influenza, more victims are to come. People just assume that taking medicine and resting is going to cure the ill. What they don’t know is that it is much worse this year. Children who are even only a little sick, are advised to not go to school. Adults with the flu need to be more conscious of the flu and watch children and themselves. Wash hands carefully and thoroughly, this will prevent germs from spreading. Doctors are saying that it is still not too late to get the flu shot. The flu shot reduces the chance of getting the flu by 60%, but that number changes year to year because sometimes the virus can be stronger.