Apple’s New Campus

On January 17, Apple announced that they were planning to open a new campus in the U.S. Although their massive Apple Park project is just coming to an end, Apple is already planning a second headquarters. Perhaps one of the major factors of Apple’s decision is Trump. Trump recently passed a new tax bill that was designed to encourage large companies to move back to the U.S. This made Apple move most of its wealth and operations back into the U.S. Even after the new tax bill, Apple has to pay an estimated $38 billion in taxes, which is most likely the largest tax ever paid. They plan to contribute $350 billion to the U.S. economy and to create approximately 20,000 jobs over the next 5 years.

Currently, Apple has 83,000 employees and claims to be indirectly responsible for 2 million jobs. This new campus will house the company’s technical support staff. Apple indicates that in the future, the campus may expand to house other divisions of the company. The location is unknown and will be announced later in the year, but CEO of Apple, Tim Cook says the company has narrowed down the list by a lot. The only other clue to where the new campus will be is that it won’t be in California or Texas, where Apple already has a large workforce. The size, cost, time to build, when it will be finished, is all still unknown. Amazon, which is also looking for a 2nd headquarters location, received 200 bids for a location. Tim Cook says that Apple does not want to get involved in such an auction process.

Currently, Apple is adding their finishing touches to their Cupertino, 175 acre headquarters. The circular office building, dubbed the Spaceship, that has a mile long circumference and has a 1,512 feet diameter is larger than the Pentagon, and the Empire State building on its side. The inside of the circle contains a 30-acre park. The building itself is 4 stories high above ground, and 3 stories below ground. All the walls in Apple’s new headquarters is glass. The Apple campus has an astonishing amount of facilities for its employees. It has 7 cafes, one of which can seat 3,000 people, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, two 300,000 square foot research and development facilities, a 20,000 square foot visitor center that also acts as an Apple store, and the Steve Jobs auditorium which seats up to 1,000 people. It is guessed that the entire campus will be powered by sustainable energy and cost $5 billion to build.

Tech Giant Apple has decided to move most of its operations and wealth back into the U.S. With it, Apple hopes to boost the U.S. economy and create 20,000 jobs.