Potentially Hazardous Asteroid Passing Earth

via Pixabay

via Pixabay

via Pixabay

The 2002 AJ219 is one of the hundreds of asteroids passing the Earth, but this asteroid is bigger than the biggest skyscraper ever to be made by man and is traveling with a distance less than 4.65 million miles away from us. This is the closest asteroid to pass Earth in 40 years, and the International Astronomical Union’s Minor Planet Center classified it as potentially hazardous. This asteroid has a diameter of 3 miles making it the 3rd largest asteroid to pass the world. Scientists figured that this same dangerous asteroid would pass Earth on February 4, 2018, at an estimated time of 4:30 p.m.

When this asteroid passes by is on Feb. 4, and the closest point of the asteroid will only be 2.3 miles away from the globe. The last time the AJ129 flew by Earth, was on February 6 in 1904 when the closest distance was only 1.8 million miles away from our planet. This was merely seven times the distance of the Earth to the moon. Scientists are also anticipating 2,174 when the AJ129 will pass by again on February 8th when the asteroid will be 2.5 times the distance from the Earth to the moon.  Scientists are mainly hoping that astronauts will go into space and land on the asteroid with the technology given in the future. After getting on there, they will collect as many substances as the can, and they will also mine for resources. Many asteroids have passed this planet, and most of them including the AJ129 will not collide into Earth. The way NASA finds this out is astonishing.

NASA or the National Aeronautics and Space Administration has survey telescopes that scan the sky and take pictures of things in the sky. If multiple telescopes take a picture of the same object, they compare it to any picture of known objects that have already been named. If the object has not been seen before the put it in a separate file so if they take a picture of that object later, they will something to confirm it with. If the object is seen by multiple telescopes and is seen moving towards Earth that object becomes a top priority to check if the asteroid will collide with the Earth’s atmosphere. Then NASA contacts a variety of astronomers to see if the object might collide. They contact many different agencies and amateurs just to check and compare their findings. NASA combines all these findings to see if the object will collide with the Earth.

The AJ129 is an astonishing asteroid and astronomers from all over the world will continue to collect information on different asteroids to help keep us safe. All in all, it would be a breathtaking a view, and this asteroid could majorly help us in the future.

Tanay S., Reporter

Tanay S. is a 7th grader who currently attends Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subjects are Spanish and Math. Tanay likes Spanish because he enjoys...