Filed under Campus Life

G.A.T.E. Shadow Days

A picture of seventh graders with their shadows.

via Erin K.

via Erin K.

Every year Kraemer Middle School invites GATE sixth graders from all around the Placentia Yorba Linda Unified School District (PYLUSD) to tour the school. These students are paired up with seventh graders and will follow them wherever they go. Sixth graders learn what daily life at Kraemer is like and how different and similar it is from their previous elementary school. The two of the three elementary schools that have a GATE program like Kraemer (Golden and Woodsboro) each have their designated day to go. Students that passed the COGAT test to get into the program, but decided against going to their local GATE school also have a day to go along with the third GATE school, Tynes Elementary. Sixth-grade students can request whatever seventh grader they want to be their host.

This will be an opportunity for many students to learn more about their future middle school. Some of the benefits of Shadow Day are getting advice from your host, getting a sneak peak at all the teachers, and it allows students to see what electives are a good fit. Also, after getting a glimpse at the school, students are less likely to get lost on their first day of school. Getting familiar with the process of switching classes is also a benefit of Shadow Day. Having a shadow is something that most seventh-grade GATE students want, so not everyone gets a shadow. However, some students get two to three shadows from different schools. On Shadow Day, sixth graders can enjoy a fresh-baked cookie at break like many Kraemer students do. Even though seventh graders truly anticipate these days, sixth graders are probably even more excited because they get to miss a day of school.

Even though all the classes are going to be different from elementary school, the one that might be the hardest to adjust to is Physical Education (PE). Having your very own locker and having three to four teachers all teaching different activities is very different from having PE twice a week for forty-five minutes. The activities are planned and aren’t random like elementary school PE is.

GATE Shadow Days are a Kraemer tradition. Future shadows and hosts are looking forward to seeing who they are paired up with. Shadows will later become hosts, and their shadows will become hosts. This is how the Shadow Day tradition works and how it will last for a long time.

1 Comment

One Response to “G.A.T.E. Shadow Days”

1. Jason on February 15th, 2018 9:47 am

so this is wut the picture was for

*

5-Star Assembly

Kraemer to Kids

Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Filipescu

Student Spotlight: Emma K.

Kraemer Clubs

• G.A.T.E. Shadow Days

8th Grade Registration

• G.A.T.E. Shadow Days

Counting Down to the 2018-19 School Year

• G.A.T.E. Shadow Days

Orchestra’s Grand Finale Concert

• G.A.T.E. Shadow Days

5 Star Student System

• G.A.T.E. Shadow Days

Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Erskine

G.A.T.E. Shadow Days