The Women’s March – A Personal Narrative

the Women's March 2018

the Women's March 2018

the Women's March 2018

On Saturday, January 21, 2017, the first Women’s March was held. It took place the day after the 45th President, Donald J. Trump was inaugurated. Over five million people worldwide protested against President Trump’s plans and comments in the march. They also protested about equality between men and women. Participants shouted chants, held signs, and gave speeches that objected the new president’s actions. Exactly a year after President Trump was sworn in, the second annual Women’s March was held.

Attending this year’s march was a powerful and life-changing experience. My grandmother had been planning to take me to this protest for a while. She wanted me to know early on to stand up for what I believe in. The belief that I supported in this march was equality between men and women. Before the march, we attended gatherings where we made signs in light of our protest and knitted our pink cat hats to wear to the march. Wearing pink hats has become a tradition in Women’s Marches. The idea sprang from one of Trump’s inappropriate comments.

I attended the march, on January 21st, in Santa Ana where 20,000 other passionate people also protested. We all lined up in a blocked off street while listening to empowering speeches that reminded us of why we were there, to march for women’s rights and equality. Once the march started, chants began breaking out. “We want a President, not a creepy tweeter,” said a younger teenage girl who started one of the most popular chants in the march. The whole experience of the march was very empowering and helped me realize I’m not the only female who thinks Trump has the right to say whatever he wants.

After the march, a rally was held where there were dances and speeches from young girls who attended the nearby high school, Santa Ana High. The dances were to songs they had made that were talking about how Trump had affected them for the worse. The songs also showed their opinions on the dictatorship that is in our world today. This was very meaningful to me because I feel the same way.

At the rally, there were protests. Trump supporters shared their opinions on the situation, differently then we had before. Once protests had started, we moved to the other side of the rally and sat down in a grassy area. I hung out with my neighbors who had also attended with us, and we enjoyed some fruits and chips. While on the grass, people in orange vests started walking around, allowing others who were not registered to vote to register. I was surprised with how many people did, 650. Once the rally had ended, we started heading to the car, and all sat in silence as we drove. After about ten minutes, Audrey, an eight-year-old broke the silence and asked where we were going for lunch. Meraloma Cafe. We all ate some delicious food and talked about how we felt about the march. I felt empowered and like my life had changed.

Overall, the 2018 Women’s March was very empowering and enlightening experience. It opened up my mind and allowed me to release my anger towards the rude remarks that have been made by not only President Trump but by a lot of authoritative power. I also felt safe enough to share my opinion on inequality with complete strangers. Somehow, I felt that I had a strong bond with everyone at the march, even though I was not even able to meet a quarter of them. I am very pleased with my experience of the march and can’t wait till next years.