Filed under Sports

Eagles Season Recovery

LeSean McCoy, Eagles running back, stiff arms Ernie Sims, Dallas Cowboys linebacker

via Marine Barracks Washington, D.C.

The Philadelphia Eagles have had one of their best seasons in franchise history and will play in Superbowl for the first time since 2004. The Eagles have had so many injuries this season, but they still, somehow made it all the way to the peak of the season that all teams wish for; the Superbowl. So what’s stopping them from winning that too? Their full toll of injuries consists of Dannell Ellerbe, Tre Sullivan, Charles Walker, Darren Sproles, Donnel Pumphrey, Jordan Hicks, Jason Peters, Dom Williams, Aziz Shittu, Joe Walker, Caleb Sturgis, Chris Maragos, Randall Goforth, and Sidney Jones. If that was not bad enough for the team, they suffered quarterback phenomenon, Carson Wentz. Carson Wentz tore his ACL in week 14 and is out for the whole rest of the season.

The Eagles record this season was 13 wins, and 3 loses. That puts them with the best record in the NFL, and they might be considered the best in the whole league. They are regarded by many as the number one rush defense in the NFL and also the number one rushing attack defense in the NFC. The Eagles season was largely due to Carson Wentz though, and his offensive skill led them through the season. Carson Wentz was on his way to a league MVP, but with his injury, there will be more talk about who should be MVP. Wentz was sandwiched by two defenders while diving into the end zone; both defenders hit Wentz’s leg causing him to tear his ACL.

Nobody knows how long it will take for Carson to return to the field. ACL tear recovery usually takes 9-12 months. But with Carson being a QB he does not have to as many cuts, runs, jumps, and plants like other positions have to; as he is a quarterback. Running out of the pocket was also one his bests strengths, along with his arm strength and accuracy. So it will be a tough decision for him and his team. People are saying that if Carson rushes his recovery, he will never be the same that he was and that he will also have to be more of a pocket passer before he can start doing running type things.

Nick Foles was the backup QB and started for Wentz, and has done great in Carson’s absence. He took the Eagles through the payoffs to go to the Superbowl. Foles stats for the time he’s been in the playoffs are, 49 of 63 completed passes for 598 yards, 3 touchdowns, no turnovers, and a passer rating of 122.1.These are great stats, and along with reliable targets, solid run game, and stifling defense, the Eagles are a well-balanced team.The Eagles have had such a great season, and they are sure to put a great fight against the Patriots, even while they are considered the underdogs. This will surely be one of the best Super Bowls ever.