Filed under Opinion

Why DACA Should Be Here To Stay

DACA+Protest+at+Columbus+Circle+
DACA Protest at Columbus Circle

DACA Protest at Columbus Circle

Via Wikimedia Commons

Via Wikimedia Commons

DACA Protest at Columbus Circle

DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, was created by former president Barack Obama in 2012. It is a policy that protects immigrants who came to the United States as minors. DACA prevents these individuals from being immediately deported and provides them a work permit that expires after two years, subject to renewal. While DACA keeps these immigrants, or Dreamers, from being deported from the United States, they are not granted a legal status in the country.

There are several requirements an individual must meet to be a DACA recipient. Currently, one has to be at least 15 years old when applying but at most 31 years old as of June 15, 2012. In addition, one has to have lived in the United States since June 15, 2007, to now. The individual applying must have had their DACA status expire on June 15, 2012, be in or graduate from high school, and not be convicted of a felony, nor any misdemeanors.

Recently, there has been talk about the Trump administration ending the DACA program. According to Fox News, “Trump referred to DACA as an ‘illegal amnesty.’” However, there has been much backlash on the idea that the DACA would end, and the 800,000 people affected by it would have to go back to a country they don’t have any idea about.

DACA recipients, or Dreamers, should not be made to leave the United States. They have escaped from their countries and found a home in the U.S., a place where everybody is equal and refugees are welcomed. This was the past. Now, however, Donald Trump is much harsher on immigration than former President, Barack Obama. Dreamers have established their lives here, in America. Not only would it be unfair to deprive these individuals to live freely, it would be cruel to make them go back to a country they barely know. Whatever stereotypes there are regarding Dreamers, they do not pose threats to American society and are just as American as the rest of us.

What makes the United States a beautiful country is the freedom and liberty of its people. The foundation of the United States was based on freedom and acceptance. Ending the DACA program would go against all the morals an American stands for.

Dreamers are bright, young people, willing to contribute to America’s society. DACA is a program that helps these individuals succeed. In the United States, opportunities are abundant for Americans; DACA provides Dreamers to receive equal opportunities. If you believe in a fair world, DACA is obviously the epitome of equality.