A Strange Light Hovers Over Southern California

a+UFO
a UFO

a UFO

via Max Pixel

via Max Pixel

a UFO

On December 22, 2017, at 5:27 pm, sightings of a mysterious light lingering above Southern California homes were reported across the region, and as far away as Arizona.  Shortly after the sightings, witnesses of the phenomena turned to social media to post their suspicions, concerns, and assumptions of what caused the light and what it might be.  At first glance, the strange light could appear to be something straight out of a science fiction movie.  

As dusk had dwindled, residents throughout SoCal and Arizona had no inkling of what they were seeing.  To their bewilderment, a beam of light had claimed the sky.   Many witnesses believed the strange beam of light originated from an unidentified flying object.  The thought of the brink of a nuclear war sparked tension in the states, as many people imagined the beam of light had something to do with a bomb or missile, possibly, they assumed, from North Korea.  Some concerned citizens claimed that the baffling light might have been the disastrous result of a plane collision.  Elon Musk, CEO of SpaceX, jokingly tweeted that the beam of light was a nuclear alien sent from North Korea.  Police departments and T.V. stations were flooded with phone calls reporting the strange light in the sky.  “We got quite a few concerned calls with people saying there’s a light in the sky,” said Torrance police Sgt. Paul Kranke.”

A few hours after the sighting, area residents were notified that the eerie light hovering in the sky was the effect of SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket departure.  “SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket, launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base at 5:27 p.m., was carrying ten satellites to low-Earth orbit,” noted reporters from the Los Angeles Times.  “The satellites will be part of a constellation operated by Iridium Communications.  All ten satellites successfully deployed, with the last one deploying about 1 hour and 12 minutes after liftoff.”  SpaceX’s Falcon 9 is said to have been the last of their missions for 2017.  SpaceX has conducted 18 launches through 2017.  This is the first of the 18 to spark suspicions of UFOs or for people to at least consider that SpaceX is trying to cover up something.

Even though SpaceX has confirmed that the light in the sky was the effect of a rocket departure, many, including celebrity Demi Lovato still believed the beam of light originated from a UFO.  She recently tweeted that SpaceX’s Falcon 9 launch explanation was a cover-up and that there are also similar lights that could be blamed as the work of aliens or UFOs.  While the most reasonable, and believable explanation would include SpaceX’s claim that Falcon 9 was sent to deploy ten satellites, there continues to be controversy and confusion regarding the mysterious lights in the evening sky above Southern California.