Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Why Trump Could be Impeached

The New York rally against Trump, 11/9/16.

Via Flickr

Via Flickr

On November 8, 2016, reality T.V. star and business owner Donald Trump was elected to be President of the United States. Though it has been an exciting year to see how Trump has been leading America, especially through his documentation of his journey on social media, it’s time to review his time as President and ask, “What now?”

Trump began his presidency with a below-average approval rating of 45.5%, and, since then, the number has been steadily dropping, with his current percentage being 37%. Multiple petitions have been made to impeach Trump, but these causes wouldn’t be able to make any difference without a vote in the House in Representatives, as the process begins with a vote on each article of impeachment. If at least one of the articles receives a majority vote, the procedure continues. Robert Reich, Professor of Public Policy at the University of California, is actively working to start this system and made a large contribution to the process with an internet post he made called, “4 (And maybe 5) Grounds to Impeach Trump”. This article will list these five causes and expand on them, while still giving full credit to the original creator.

The first reason for impeachment is Trump’s violation of the first amendment, which gives citizens the freedom of religion. Trump recently banned six Muslim countries from entry into the United States, has tried to pass a law to make all American Muslims wear armbands with the religion’s symbol on it, and has blatantly insulted and made stereotypical comments on the religion in the past. Another reason for Trump’s impeachment is also related to the first amendment, which guarantees the freedom of the press. Trump often only allows news sources that have given him positive coverage to his events while preventing others from entering. He also calls negative press “fake news” and has posted an edited video of him punching the CNN logo on his social media. With these actions, Trump has violated the first amendment and, in relation, the supreme law of the land.

Trump’s third reason to be charged involves Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution, which addresses the US government not being allowed to profit off of foreign governments. When foreign diplomatic delegations travel to the US, Trump places the groups in the Trump International Hotel, earning thousands for overnight stays. During his presidency, Trump has also gained multiple personal profits from China, including his granted trademark applications. For example, to appeal to the president, China has trademarked the name “Trump,” meaning that Chinese companies like Shenzhen Trump Industrial Co. will be forced to change their names. The enforcement of this trademark occurred shortly after Trump announced his agreement to the “One China Policy,” which ensures that governments officially recognize the Republic of China, not Taiwan. Not only does this action imply corruption and a serious conflict of interest in the US government, but it also provides a viable reason for Trump’s impeachment.

The final large, concrete reason why Trump may be impeached is in his violation of Article 2, Section 2 of the Constitution, stating that a president must, “…faithfully execute the laws & the constitution…” By accusing previous President Obama of an illegal and impeachable act–wiretapping the Trump Tower–with no evidence to support the claim, Trump is unfaithfully executing his presidential duties.

Though the previously listed reasons are the main known causes for possible impeachment, there are smaller reasons why impeachment articles can be introduced to court, some being:

Inciting sexism, racism, and overall discrimination (As shown in his hate for the Muslim faith and his multiple other negative comments towards certain individuals and social groups)

Associating the majesty of the presidency with white supremacy, sexism, racism, etc. (For example, this occurred when Trump gave a late response to the Charlottesville rally, saying both sides of the conflict were at fault and that, among the white supremacists, there were some “very fine people”)

Perfidy or deceitfulness (For instance, Trump claimed that three to five million people illegally voted in the 2016 election after losing the popular vote to Hillary Clinton by three million votes. Overall, Trump has told over 108 recorded public falsehoods in his presidency so far, almost six times the amount former President, Barack Obama, had in his entire eight years of being president)

Undermining the power of the federal judiciary (A tweet Trump posted on February 4th, 2017 states, “The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!”)

All eight reasons provided are viable to become future articles in the court deciding the discontinuation of Trump’s term, but the largest and seemingly most dramatic cause has not yet been confirmed. Evidence in both public and private investigations are supporting the theory that Trump worked with Russian operatives to win the election, and congressional investigations are uncovering more information every day. Trump has been insisting that these claims are fake but, if they are proven to be real, he could be removed for treason.