Filed under Opinion

Should Gum be Allowed on School Grounds?

Bubble gum balls in a bowl.

Bubble gum balls in a bowl.

Via Flickr

Via Flickr

Bubble gum balls in a bowl.

Chew, blow, and POP! These are three things many students dream of when they are sitting in a boring classroom, their fingers tapping on a desk, listening to their teacher go on and on about inequalities and other math equations. Others say that chewing gum is a distraction, as it can make loud popping noises, and also take students’ minds off of their work. But the question still remains, should gum be allowed on school grounds? In my opinion, gum shouldn’t be allowed on school grounds because it gets in the way of fully concentrating on schoolwork and may have serious unhealthy side effects.

Chewing gum may be fun and a distraction from a boring teacher, but that’s just the problem. Gum is a distraction from school, and it can result in bad grades and not fully understanding the concept of the lesson. Although many may moan and groan about this old rule, it will help tremendously in school, and will save someone from getting in deep trouble, like getting a detention or a citation.

Also, from a health standpoint, gum is not good for the body. It can cause jaw problems if chewed too much, and it may possibly cause not being able to chew anything later on, or not even being able to speak to friends! Another chance is that someone’ll get a stomach ache from chewing gum. It contains many fake sugars, which can cause unnecessary air bubbles in stomachs, which leads to really painful stomach aches.

Another thing that’s bad about gum is its weird ingredients. Another arising question is, what is gum actually made of and how do they create that nice, stringy texture? Well, the ingredient list is long, containing gum base, maltitol, mannitol, artificial flavoring, acacia, acesulfame potassiu, BHT, calcium casein peptone-calcium phosphate, candelilla wax, sodium stearate, and titanium dioxide. Many of these chemicals like BHT and titanium dioxide can actually kill someone. BHT is actually banned in other countries, but it is still used here in the US. Consuming BHT as a child can result in hyperactivity, and as adults, it can result in kidney and liver failure. Titanium dioxide can result in autoimmune disorders, Crohn’s disease, asthma, and is possibly, being studied as, carcinogenic.

The last thing is that chewing gum has been lying for all these years. People say that chewing gum will get rid of bad breath but that is a humongous lie. Gum doesn’t actually get rid of bad breath, it just masks it. People say that when gum is chewed, the smell of it only lasts about another hour. And once gum gets taken out of a mouth, whether it’s been one hour or not, it only lasts five minutes, then bad breath will start to break through the layer of freshness, and it will come out way worse than it was before.

Clearly, gum can be bad not just from a school perspective, but for somebody’s entire life. It has many good effects, such as being a stress-reliever, but the consequences are too high of a risk. Having bad grades, bad breath, jaw problems, kidney and liver failure, autoimmune disorders, Crohn’s disease, asthma, and being carcinogenic is definitely not worth a twenty minute chew of a deadly bubblegum ball.