Golden Globes

Golden+Globes+Red+Carpet+
Golden Globes Red Carpet

Golden Globes Red Carpet

via Wikimedia commons

via Wikimedia commons

Golden Globes Red Carpet

Harassment accusations that have recently rocked Hollywood and many other industries, threatened to overshadow this year’s Golden Globes awards ceremony.   From Oprah’s inspirational speech to Seth Meyers monologue, the 75th annual Golden Globes managed to outshine the negativity that currently surrounds Hollywood. The Golden Globes started with host Seth Meyers’ well-balanced speech. It had a touch of comedy, while still being serious about the horrific things going on in Hollywood. Starting right off the bat with, “Ladies and remaining gentlemen,” acknowledging the numerous Hollywood stars kicked out of Hollywood such as Harvey Weinstein. He also took a stab at Weinstein saying “Don’t worry, he’ll be back in 20 years when he becomes the first person ever booed during the In Memorium (remembrance of passed Hollywood stars). When the crowd reacted with booing, Seth replied, “It will sound just like that.” Even before the Golden Globes began, the red carpet was filled with black dresses to show solidarity with the Time’s Up organization.  

In 1943, a small group of overseas journalists banded together to form the Hollywood Foreign Correspondents Association, now known as the Hollywood Foreign Press. The association held its first awards ceremony in early 1944, with an informal ceremony at 20th Century Fox. They handed out scrolls in place of medals. The following year, the scroll was replaced by a shiny globe that represented the world, wrapped by a piece of film.

In awarding the Golden Globes, there were some surprises among they many awards given out. Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri won Best Motion Picture-Drama. Best Director went to Guillermo del Toro for The Shape of Water, although it is worth mentioning that all the Best Director nominees were male, as pointed out by presenter Natalie Portman. Lady Bird won Best Motion Picture-Musical or Comedy. The Handmaid’s Tale won Best Television Series-drama.

This year’s Cecil B. DeMille award, for “Outstanding Contributions to the World of Entertainment” was awarded to Oprah Winfrey. In winning, she became the first African-American woman to win the award. Oprah’s acceptance speech was greeted with a standing ovation from the crowd. She talked about watching the first African-American win an Oscar when she was a child, she told the men that had assaulted women, that their time is up, “Their time is up!”. “I want all the girls watching here and now to know that a new day is on the horizon,” she said to a cheering crowd, “I hope no one will ever have to say Me Too again.” Oprah raced to the top of Twitter’s Trending topics.

This year’s, 75th annual Golden Globes was certainly one to be remembered. Hollywood stars stood up against inequality and assaults in the workplaces, black dresses filled the red carpet in a show of support for the Times Up and Me Too Movement, and Oprah gave an inspirational  and uplifting speech.