Filed under Campus Life

Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Dedrick

Mrs. Dedrick at her daughter's wedding.

Mrs. Dedrick at her daughter's wedding.

via Mrs. Dedrick

via Mrs. Dedrick

Mrs. Dedrick at her daughter's wedding.

Mrs. Dedrick is a Math teacher here at Kraemer. This year, she teaches Math 7 and Math 8, as well as 8th-grade math lab. She has been teaching for 34 years and has also taught in Provo, Utah, Los Angeles Unified, and Corona-Norco Unified, but she says that teaching at Kraemer is the best by far. Mrs. Dedrick was born in Kansas City but later moved to Rome, New York and Clearwater, Florida. She attended college at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, and after graduating she moved to California.  She now resides in Yorba Linda and has 4 children: Lane (34), Marc (30), Krista (25), and Tommy (23), who are all married.

Before she decided to become a teacher, Mrs. Dedrick also considered doing neurological research or recombinant DNA research in high school, but she eventually did decide to pursue being a teacher instead. Being a teacher came naturally to Mrs. Dedrick, being as she always taught her handicapped younger brother new things when they were younger and how she would always play the teacher when she and her neighborhood friends would play school.

In her free time, Mrs. Dedrick enjoys running and runs about 5.25 miles every morning in the summer, keeping her in great shape! She also loves to read, hike, camp, wakeboard, garden, and visit her grandchildren! Her favorite foods consist of salads, salmon, and homemade cookies. Mrs. Dedrick’s favorite holiday is Christmas because it is a time where everyone seems to be kinder and more filled with light and goodness. Mrs. Dedrick is both a lover of film and of reading and some of her all-time favorite books include, The Hobbit, Gone With the Wind, and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.  Some of her favorite films she loves to watch are Lord of the Rings, Gone With the Wind, and Dances With Wolves. If she would be given a dream vacation, Mrs. Dedrick would want to be on a boat in a lake with her family and visit the Sierras because it is such a peaceful and beautiful place.

Mrs. Dedrick constantly encourages her students to always believe in themselves and to always keep trying. She says it’s a great feeling to see others grow in confidence as they master new skills. Her optimistic and fun personality makes her loved by all who meet her, especially Kraemer students and staff. She helps all her students to excel and understand math, and most importantly, helps to make Kraemer an even better place!