Behind the Scenes of the Nutcracker

A+nutcracker+

Behind the Scenes of the Nutcracker

A nutcracker

A nutcracker

via Public Domain Pictures

A nutcracker

via Public Domain Pictures

via Public Domain Pictures

A nutcracker

The Nutcracker is something families and friends look forward to watching together for months until the holiday season even begins. This ballet is a combination of music and dancing. It tells a beautiful story of a girl who has an experience when her toys come to life, and the ballerina dancers make it look so easy. However, is the ballet really as easy as dancers, conductors, or directors make it look?

After investing to find evidence about dancers who have an opinion behind stage about how much work has to go into this incredible ballet, the conclusion became that behind the scenes of this holiday ballet, it is extremely hard. Dancers claim the rehearsals are stressful and learning how to make something really hard look easy is unbearable.

What about the director? If the dancers are complaining about preparing for this ballet, it must be extremely hard for the directors. Usually, directors lead the orchestra and conduct the ballet, so they do more than the dancers do, during the preparation of this performance. However their reactions were surprisingly different, they said that it is difficult to put together this show, however they enjoy doing it.

Now, never did anyone say the dancers don’t love what they do because they usually do. They put in a bunch of time and effort, and they do emphasize a little more of the level of advancement in the particular ballet. However, these ballerina’s work extremely hard and they try their best, because in their words they put it as they would not be living for a good purpose if they didn’t do ballet.  

During this important time of year stage crew, makeup artists, hair stylists, and costume designers are needed as well as directors and ballerinas. Makeup and Costume are extremely important to this ballets productions. Dancers not only need to act the part, but they need to look it. No one would go to the Nutcracker if there wasn’t a story to tell with characters who act and look the part. Also, dancers hair is crucial in this ballet. It is known why dancers are supposed to wear a bun while practicing, but during the performance, their hair can be down, in curls, or some funky hairstyle that hairdressers decide to do.

Finally, the nutcracker would not be considered a ballet, if there was no stage crew. Although it may look easy to be stage crew, it actually is really important to the ballet itself. Dancers are responsible for props, but after each scene, someone is needed to move furniture. Stage crew is responsible for where the lighting is, and what color the lighting needs to be in to make the dancers look the best.

All in all, the Nutcracker is an amazing play that ballerinas, stage crew, and directors, work hard on to make a success. This ballet is incredible in every way, but the work behind is more, than everyone who never dances in it professionally will ever know.