Filed under Campus Life

Kraemer’s Orchestra – Winter Concert

The Chello. One of the instruments in orchestra.

via wikipedia

via wikipedia

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017, Kraemer had its first concert of the year. Starting with the Intermediate orchestra, it worked it’s way up to Advanced and Chamber strings to finish it off.

The intermediate orchestra, conducted by Mr. Grant, kicked everything off with Joust by Richard Meyer. This medieval themed song had many unexpected accents, rests, and a war-like tune. Mr. Carmona played viola thirty years ago, so when the intermediate orchestra reached the next song, Guest Soloist by the same composer, Richard Meyer, he became a surprise guest soloist. He only played three simple D notes, and was queued in by the teacher’s assistant, Megan. His performance brought widesmiles to the faces of those who were listening. Since this was the Winter Concert, its almost mandatory that Christmas songs were played. So, the intermediate orchestra’s next two songs were christmas themed. This consisted of Saint Nick’s Canon on the Housetop by Carrie Lane Gruselle, and Santa plays the Viola by Mark Williams. Both of these songs combined popular christmas songs, including Hark the Angels Heard on High, Pachelbel’s Canon, Jingle Bells, and Up on the Housetop.

Up next in the line-up was the advanced orchestra, conducted by Mr. Topping. Dance of the Harlequins by Larry Clark was played at the start their performance, and was a fun, upbeat tune that got the audience enjoying themselves even more. The next song ,The Spirit of Hanukkah by John Caponegro, brought Hanukkah into the picture. Christmastide Arr. Elliot Del Borgo was the next song up which was played by the Kraemer orchestra a few years back. It brought back all aspects of Christmas. The final song for the advanced orchestra was Rest Ye Merry, Rock Ye Very by Brian Balmages. This song was a good ending, because it was loud, fun, and festive.

Before Chamber orchestra came on, two quartets performed. This was the first year in a while that seventh grade had a quartet, and they performed well. It consisted of Jamie L. (1st violin), Kaylynn Y. (2nd violin), Brian R. (Viola), and Caleb L. (Cello). They performed See You Again, a popular pop song by Cameron J. Thomaz. The eighth grade quartet performed next. The members were Sydney C. (1st violin), Sarah C. (2nd violin), Melody S. (Viola), and Ellie W. (Cello). They played Stay With Me/Bohemian Rhapsody by Sam Smith/Queen which was arranged by themselves.

The final performance of the night was Chamber strings. To kick it off with a bang, they played Carol of the Bells Arr. Stuart Carlson. This Christmas song included fast parts where the whole orchestra flies up the strings. A sweet, sad song does well when played perfectly, and the Chamber orchestra played it that well. Ave Maria by J.S. Bach & C. Gounod, Arr. R. Longfield included a violin solo part played by Andrew L., along with a piano solo played by Ellie W.. The next song was Hallelujah Chorus by G.F. Handel, Arr. Bob Cerulli, imitating a choir singing. This upbeat fun song was bright and cheerful. The final song Fiddle like the Dickens! by Arr. Tim McCarrick was the big ending, where the whole orchestra ended on a final note and lifted their bows into the air. The song included classic christmas songs, and was a perfect ending.

Overall, the Kraemer orchestras are amazing. Many people are looking forward to their next performances, and new songs played. The orchestras work very hard, and it pays off with their amazing playing!