Filed under Sports

Heisman Trophy Candidates

Heisman Trophy Candidates

The Heisman Trophy

The Heisman Trophy

Via Wikimedia Commons

The Heisman Trophy

Via Wikimedia Commons

Via Wikimedia Commons

The Heisman Trophy

The Heisman Trophy is the most valuable player anyone from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) can win (generally from a good division 1 school). This year, mostly quarterbacks and halfbacks from around the country are fighting for the award. Here are the top 5 candidates to win the Heisman just like the other 80 former NCAA and NFL stars have.

Rashaad Penny: Even though his competition hasn’t been as strong as many other candidates, over 2,000 yards rushing (1st in the nation) and 24 total touchdowns (2nd in nation) shows that Penny has a shot at the Heisman. He alone has led San Diego State to a 10-2 record (second in the conference) and was the key component to their victory against at the time #14 ranked Stanford. Like Barkley, Penny has been dominant on the field in more ways than one and has proved his effectiveness.

Saquon Barkley: The Penn State halfback is among the most dynamic players in the country. In addition to being a serious threat running the ball, he is one of the best receiving backs and kick returners in the NCAA. On Saturday, October 21, Saquon Barkley got a touchdown for the 14th consecutive game which was at the time leading the nation. This season Barkley has 199 rushes, 1134 rushing yards, 16 rushing touchdowns, 47 receptions, and 2 return touchdowns. These stats prove that he one of the most well-rounded players in college football.

Lamar Jackson: Last year’s winner came back strong in 2017 for another memorable season. Although his college, Louisville, was not very successful this season, Jackson has once again proved to the world that he is one of the most talented quarterbacks in the NCAA. Jackson is one of the fastest quarterbacks in the NCAA and has a knack for finding the open man. Jackson will have over 3,500 yards for the second year in a row after his bowl game ( if he chooses to play), 25 passing touchdowns, and only 6 interceptions. In addition to his passing stats, Jackson has already rushed for 1,442 yards, 17 touchdowns which would be fantastic numbers for a running back nevertheless, a quarterback. This season Jackson has faced solid competition. Unlike many players before him, Jackson has maintained his effectiveness the year after winning the award.

Bryce Love: Stanford has had its ups and downs this season, but Love has maintained his greatness throughout the 11 games he has played. Going into this year’s season, Love had the nearly impossible job of filling in for Christian McCaffrey the 2015 AP player of the year. However, Love has done just that for Stanford coach David Shaw and fans from around the states. His 1,973 rushing yards are 2nd in the NCAA and every game except for 1, he has had 100 yards rushing. Love also has a total of 4 games with 2 or more touchdowns. Players, fans, and coaches all fear Love when going against him and all Stanford fans love him. Bryce Love has led the farm to a Pac 12 championship and is one of the best running backs in the country.

Baker Mayfield: Last year’s third-place finisher is currently the heart and soul of the Big 12 champion Oklahoma. This season has been by far the best of Mayfield’s three years at Oklahoma. The redshirt senior spent his first year at Texas Tech and didn’t play in 2014. However, he has become one of the best players in college football throughout the past three years. So far this season, Mayfield has an outstanding passer rating of 203.3, has 37 touchdowns, over 4000 yards, and a completion percentage of about 71.5%. For a quarterback with such a great arm, he is also sneaky mobile. Mayfield has 5 rushing touchdowns and 245 yards. Mayfield has not only had a great season himself, but he has led Oklahoma to a college football playoff appearance and a one-loss regular season. After his monster Big 12 championship game in which he threw for 4 touchdowns and no interceptions, Mayfield has just about locked up the Heisman.

Note: Baker Mayfield ended up winning the Heisman on December 10, 2017

Andrew H., Reporter

Andrew H. is a seventh grader that attends Kraemer Middle School. His favorite subjects so far are Language Arts and Science. Outside of school Andrew...