Top 5 Disney Movies That Were Criticized For Being Racist

Disney+logo

Disney logo

Disney logo

via Wikimedia commons

Disney logo

via Wikimedia commons

via Wikimedia commons

Disney logo

The Walt Disney Company is an American mass media and entertainment corporation that has produced thousands of films and movies. However, some of the older films were considered racist because of its scenes. Here are the top 5 Disney movies that were criticized for being racist.

The Jungle Book (1967)

The Jungle Book is a cartoon movie that is focused on the adventure of the main character, Mowgli, and all the other animals who play a part in his life. Here, all characters have either an English accent or a modern American accent. However, Louis the monkey is portrayed with a heavy African American accent. The problem viewers saw with this character was that he was very lazy and bossy, which follows the stereotypes that were lurking at that time. The question many had was, “Is this merely a coincidence?”

Dumbo (1941)

This movie is about an elephant who was born with unusually big ears. At first, he is seen getting teased by children around him, but when he discovers that his big ears allow him to fly, he starts using it to his advantage. The complication here is the existence of a gang of crows whose leader was named Jim Crow. Jim Crow was the name of a clumsy, dim-witted slave in a popular show in the mid-1800’s. As this show’s popularity rose, Jim Crow became a widely used term for African Americans. From that time on to the beginning of the civil rights movement in the 1950’s, there were laws called the Jim Crow Laws. These were all rules that enforced racial segregation. They were laws that enforced an unfair way of life for African Americans.

Fantasia (1940)

Fantasia takes place in a magical world where centaurs freely roam around. However, it also depicts dark colored centaurs playing the role of servants for the white centaurs. For example, Sunflower was a dark-skinned centaur in the film with exaggerated figures polishing the hoof and decorating the tail of a white centaur. Oddly enough, this character was not included when a new version of Fantasia was released in the 1960’s.

Aladdin (1992)

Aladdin is about a street rat who was able to have his wishes come true when he freed a genie from a lamp. The film follows him on his adventure with Princess Jasmine through both happy and hard times. However, this film angered many Arab-Americans when it was first released Arabs were portrayed as barbaric savages. Furthermore, the opening song original lyrics said, “Where they cut off your ear if they don’t like your face. It barbaric, but hey, it’s home.” Later on, the lyrics were changed to “Where it’s flat and immense, and the heat is intense, It’s barbaric, but hey it’s home.”

Peter Pan (1953)

In the movie Peter Pan, Wendy one of the main characters and her two little brothers follow Peter Pan into the Neverlands, a place where children don’t seem to age. The controversy involved in this movie was offending many Native American tribes. It starts with the song, “What Makes The Red Man Red?” The Native Americans here were colored as bright red, and the song lyrics implied that all Native American language is nonsensical. The song also turns their skin color into a joke and says it is from blushing out of shyness.

Most of these movies have been remade into more child-friendly versions, and these stereotypes are no longer a part of them. Thankfully, most of Disney’s recent movies have fewer controversies regarding its racist issues.