History of Coldplay

Coldplay+at+the+2016+Brits+Awards++
Coldplay at the 2016 Brits Awards

Coldplay at the 2016 Brits Awards

Flickr

Flickr

Coldplay at the 2016 Brits Awards

There are many great bands in the world, but not many come close to Coldplay. This British rock band was formed on the grounds of a college in London, and consists of Chris Martin (lead singer and pianist), Guy Berryman (bassist), Jonny Buckland (lead guitarist), and Will Champion (percussionist). They were previously named Pectoralz, but later changed to Coldplay, and started to perform small gigs around London.

The band started to record their first album, and originally planned for it to take two weeks. However, live performances delayed the album, and it took one year to make. Named Parachutes, Coldplay developed what was to become one of the top hits in the world. They officially released it on July 10, 2000, and included songs such as Shiver, Yellow, and Parachutes. The album came to the attention of people in both United Kingdom and United States of America, and Coldplay started to become popular as Shiver and Yellow made the top 40 songs of the year.

Inspired by the success of Parachutes, the band returned to the studio in 2001 to start on their second album, A Rush of Blood to the Head. Some of the earlier songs they created, such as In My Place became a part of the album but was also played on the Parachutes tour. These songs marked the end of a three-month period after Parachutes where the band claims to have been lost and inactive. By August 2002, the album was released and featured many popular songs. This includes the songs Clocks and the well-known ballad The Scientist. Coldplay had much success with A Rush of Blood to the Head, and toured it around the world for 2 years. The album won Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album at the 2003 Grammy Awards, and Clocks earned Record of the Year at the 2004 Grammy Awards.

By 2004, Coldplay had already been working on their third album, X&Y. X&Y was released in June 2005 and immediately hit the top in over 20 countries. Two singles were released that year, Fix You, and Talk. From 2004 to 2005, Coldplay went on a Twisted Logic tour featuring Coachella, and Isle of Wight Festival.

In October 2006, Coldplay began recording again to create another album, Viva La Vida or Death, and All His Friends. Some of the songs in this album are still very popular, such as Viva La Vida, Violet Hill, and Lost! Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends was top on many charts, and best-selling album of 2008. Viva La Vida ended up winning Song of the Year at The American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers.

On January 13, 2011, Chris Martin announced two new songs (Princess of China and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall) during an interview that would be featured in Coldplay’s fifth album, Mylo Xyloto. During the summer of 2011, Coldplay performed three more that would appear in Mylo Xyloto, Charlie Brown, Hurts Like Heaven, and Major Minus. The album was officially released on October 24, 2011, and featured Paradise.

Ghost Stories was the next album, and definitely easier to pronounce than Mylo Xyloto. They released many songs, and one, Atlas, was featured on the Hunger Games Soundtrack. Some of the songs featured on this album are A Sky Full of Stars, Midnight, and True Love. Coldplay developed two themes for this, one being how past actions affect the future, and the other on the topic of unconditional love. Topping the charts in the U.K. and U.S., the Ghost Stories tour visited six different locations including Los Angeles and Japan.

The most current album so far is A Head Full of Dreams. This album is intended to be the last. The way Chris Martin puts it, this is the seventh album, so, like the Harry Potter books, should be the last. He also mentioned that, unlike Ghost Stories, A Head Full of Dreams will tour worldwide. A Head Full of Dreams was officially released on December 4th, 2015, and has a variety of songs such as Adventure of a Lifetime, Hymn For the Weekend, Up&Up, A Head Full of Dreams, and Colour Spectrum. Coldplay began touring it 2016 and took a break only to compose the long-awaited Something Just Like This with The Chainsmokers. They began touring it again with the addition of this song.

Coldplay is no doubt one of the greatest bands all-time. As Kraemer student Justin Huff stated, “They make good music, and they are fun to listen to.” Coldplay is known worldwide, and it is amazing to realize that they started out as only a small band on the grounds of a London College.