Filed under News, Showcase

Hidden Chamber Found in Great Pyramid of Giza

The Great Pyramid of Giza

The Great Pyramid of Giza

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

The Great Pyramid of Giza

The Great Pyramid of Giza is one of the seven wonders of the world. For a span of twenty years, this pyramid was built in the city of Cairo during the years of King Khufu’s reign. Composed of over two million blocks of stone, it reaches a height of 479 feet and holds the record of being the tallest structure built by human hands. For 3,000 years, this pyramid has been undamaged and scientists believe that it is highly unlikely it will ever be broken. Although the purpose of this pyramid is greatly debated, the most commonly accepted theory is that it was built as a tomb for King Khufu.

Up until now, scientists have believed that the internal structures of this pyramid only consisted of the Grand Gallery, King’s Chamber, Queen’s Chamber, and some other shafts and corridors. However, archaeologists have recently discovered a 30 meter long empty space hidden between the walls of the Great Pyramid. This is the first additional discovery since the 19th century.

This empty space, or as it is now called ‘the void’, was discovered when members of the HIP Institute in Paris installed a muon detecting film in the Queen’s Chamber to further investigate the structure of Egypt’s great pyramid. These films have the ability to detect whether the materials above are solid or empty by counting the number of muons that had passed through the pyramid. Muons are elementary particles that are created when cosmic rays from space collide with atoms from the atmosphere of planets, like Earth. The number of particles that had dropped down to Earth and into the Great Pyramid of Giza had lead to the scientists discover the empty space that had been hidden for over 4,500 years.

Although scientists now know that a 30 meter long empty space exists in the pyramid, they have not yet come to an agreement on the purpose of this void. However, there are a few theories on what the purpose was when it was built. The first theory explains how the Egyptians were able to move the blocks, which sometimes weighed up to 80 tons. They believe that it was built as an inclined ramp that helped workers transport blocks into the pyramid. It provides reasoning on how the pyramid was put into place and how it was constructed. Some scientists believe that it may be another grand gallery or another chamber.

The purpose of this space is still unclear among scientists, but it has brought together Egyptologists and specialists in ancient Egypt architecture to further enhance their understanding of the void. Although they know that a 30 meter long empty space exists in the pyramid, they do not know what is in it or even what its purpose is.

This new discovery has brought excitement to many scientists and many of them are working hard to uncover the secrets that lie in this big empty space. They know that the process will be long and difficult, but it has brought together many Egyptologists and specialists in ancient Egypt architecture. This new finding has allowed scientists to realize how modern physics may help them shed light on many more of the world’s architecture.