Filed under Food & Travel

Unexpected Foods That Can Cause Cancer

Unexpected Foods That Can Cause Cancer

4 foods that can surprisingly cause cancer!

via Wikimedia Commons and Pixabay

via Wikimedia Commons and Pixabay

via Wikimedia Commons and Pixabay

Everyone has heard the expression, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” right? Well, that’s not exactly the case when talking about the relations of food and cancer. Unexpected foods that are eaten everyday are a big component to diseases that may be building up in one’s body.

The human body often gets tired and hungry. That’s when the junk food and snacks start to be opened and eaten. In that moment, it might take a while to realize how bad it is for someone. Popcorn can be eaten when watching a movie, as a snack, or to start a food fight, and has the potential to cause health problems.  Microwave popcorn is an extremely popular snack, but there are some safety issues with it. The first major issue isn’t the popcorn itself, but the bag. The popcorn bags are lined with a chemical called perfluorooctanoic acid ( PFOA).  It is a toxicant that is not healthy at all for the environment or anything living in the ecosystem.

According to a study at the University of California, PFOA is linked to infertility in women. Numerous studies in lab animals and humans show that exposure to Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) greatly increases the risk of kidney, bladder, liver, pancreas and testicular cancers. To add on, the contents of it aren’t very healthy either. Most them use soybean oils and/or propyl gallate that can cause irritation to the skin. NaturalOn states, “Although every manufacturer uses slightly different ingredients, most of them use soybean oil (a GMO product) as well as various preservatives such as propyl gallate, a chemical that is causes stomach problems and skin rashes. Now they don’t actually say they are using GMO corn kernels, but that’s because the government says they don’t have to.“

These components harm one’s body, skin, and  health.  Eating an excess amount of microwave popcorn can cause threatening consequences.  Next are potato chips. Potato chips are very popular among the world and are eaten almost daily. However, potato chips are high in both fat and calories. NaturalOn points out that potato chips are fried in high temperatures to make them crispy, but it has a material called acrylamide, which is known to be in cigarettes. Not only is it bad for the human body, it can cause lung cancer just like the result of smoking. Pop Tarts are a great snack to eat that tastes very yummy, but it does cause liver damage, diabetes, and sugar addiction. This is due to high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, and sugar within the first 7 ingredients.

At a fast food restaurant, fries are normally ordered with the meal, but is the orderer aware of the unhealthiness of fries? The fries are made of hydrogenated oils, which is a major component to higher chance of getting cancer, and a mountain of sodium. This can lead to high blood pressure and other dangerous diseases. In addition, just like potato chips, fries contain acrylamide which is very dangerous and not healthy.

Prevention Pulse states that the component has led a significant increase in cancer. It can cause lung cancer or diseases that are very bad for one’s health. Although fish may seem healthy, farmed salmon should be avoided. The fish are fed unnatural diets and are contaminated with chemicals, antibiotics, and other known carcinogens.  NaturalOn states, “They live in very crowded conditions which results in these fish having 30 times the number of sea lice than wild salmon. Farmed salmon are fed chemicals to make their meat that reddish pink color that should occur naturally but doesn’t because of the diet of chicken litter that they are fed.”

Fruit is an important part of our daily diet that helps a human body grow stronger.  It is important to  eat the right kind of fruit so that it will benefit  health. There are two types of fruit: organic fruit and non- organic fruit. The non- organic fruit consists of pesticides such as atrazine, thiodicarb, and organophosphates which are all poison to the human body. “Atrazine is banned in European countries but still used here. This is a weed killer that causes severe problems in humans, especially in our reproductive capabilities.” According to NaturalOn, a 2009 study found out that when pregnant women drank water contaminated with atrazine, their babies had lost weight. It also states, “Were you aware that the sewage from cities in the USA (nicely called biosolids) is used in the fields of farms in the USA as a form of fertilizer? You will never find organic food being cultivated in composted human sewage waste!” Anything can cause cancer, so make sure to eat foods that will benefit the body, not harm it.

Jasmine H., Reporter

Jasmine H. is a 7th grader attending Kraemer Middle School. She decided to join Newspaper because she loves to write, express her opinions, and would love...

1 Comment

One Response to “Unexpected Foods That Can Cause Cancer”

1. Ashley Kim on November 30th, 2017 9:33 am

WOW… That’s really cool I didn’t know that

*

• Unexpected Foods That Can Cause Cancer

Places to Visit in Canada

Honey and Lavender

Places to Visit in Germany

The 7-STAR Hotel in Dubai

Foods of Brazil

Best Places to Visit in China

Delicious Foods From South Korea

Popular tourist spots in Vietnam

All About Kimchi

Atlantis Paradise Island in the Bahamas

Unexpected Foods That Can Cause Cancer