Science behind F1 Cars

F-1 Car rounding a bend

F-1 Car rounding a bend

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

F-1 Car rounding a bend

Formula 1 cars are very sophisticated machines. They have many parts and each part has a specific purpose. There are 12 main parts of an F1 car, which contains the engine, rear wing, front wing, tires, engine intake, bargeboard, transmission, steering wheel, chassis, brake cooling intake, disc brake, and the suspension. All of the parts work together to create a very fast, powerful, and great handling machine.

The engine is one of the most crucial parts of the F1 car. It powers the main axles and also allows the transmission to move. Most F1 cars have about 980 to 1,000 horsepower, the average car has 125 horsepower. This makes the car be able to reach speeds of 210 mph. These formula 1 engines rev up to 19,000 rpm. This creates a massive amount of heat which creates stress on other moving parts such as tires, brakes, and suspension. The engine that runs the whole show is a 1,000 horsepower v10 engine. V10’s are extremely loud. That is why Formula 1 cars are very loud. Next, there is brakes, suspension, and tires. Brakes are a very important part of the F1 car. Since these cars can reach speeds of 210 mph they need very quick reacting and strong brakes to get around corners and turns fast. These brake pads can reach heats of 2,192 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the part where brake ducts come in to cool down the brakes very quickly. The brake ducts receive outside air as the car is traveling and sends that cool air to the brakes so they do not overheat. Brakes are useful only if you have tires though. There are many different types of F1 tires: Ultra soft tires, super soft, soft, medium, hard, intermediate, and wet. All of these tires come from a company called Pirelli, they are F1’s official tire brand. Wet tires and intermediate tires are used for rain. The rest are used for dry weather. F1 car’s suspension is tuned to be close to the ground to decrease body roll and wind resistance.

Transmissions are technically the most important part of an F1 car. Drivers shift up by flicking the paddle on the right side behind the steering wheel, they can also shift down by doing the same thing but on the left side. These F1 gearboxes shift incredibly fast, they can shift in about 8 milliseconds. The human eye blinks 300-400 milliseconds, so that is incredible. Every F1 car has 7 speeds which means it can shift up 7 times. A driver knows when to shift when the lights on the steering wheel go up about 5 times. When a driver downshifts they need to shift very fast.

Finally the chassis, aerodynamics, and the bargeboard. Modern-day chassis are made from carbon-fiber, it is a very strong substance and also very lightweight. A chassis is the part of a car that holds together all the parts, it is basically the frame.The minimum weight of an F1 car is 1,514 pounds with the driver but with no fuel. This is why F1 cars are fast and great handling. The average car weighs about 4,000 pounds. That is a big difference. F1 cars are equipped with a front wing and back wing for aerodynamics. The back wing creates downforce on the back end so the car doesn’t slide. The same is happening with the front wing except it directs the air upward so there is less wind resistance. Then there is the bargeboard. The bargeboard is also a part of aerodynamics. It directs the wind into a different direction from the side allowing it to move easily through windy situations.

It is very sophisticated and has many parts. These machines probably prove to the world that anything can be done with electronics and metal. F1 cars are truly a very amazing thing and will forever impact the technology side of the world.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Science behind F1 Cars”

1. David Richey on November 9th, 2017 9:03 pm

Very interesting and informative article.

[Reply]

2. Kevin Richey on November 14th, 2017 9:19 am

Nice article man!!!

[Reply]

*

• Science behind F1 Cars

What Music Can Do For You

• Science behind F1 Cars

The Vulnerabilities of Voice Recognition

• Science behind F1 Cars

Is the Rise of Technology Harmful for Future Generations?

• Science behind F1 Cars

Humanoid Robots

• Science behind F1 Cars

Why Do People Hate GMOs?

• Science behind F1 Cars

Self Driving Cars

• Science behind F1 Cars

The Galaxy S8 and S8+ – What Makes it Popular?

• Science behind F1 Cars

What Exercising Can Do for You

• Science behind F1 Cars

Are Ultra High Cosmic Energy Rays Dangerous?

• Science behind F1 Cars

The New IPhone X

Science behind F1 Cars