Is the Rise of Technology Harmful for Future Generations?

Technology
Technology

Technology

Via Pexels

Via Pexels

Technology

Over the years, technology has evolved drastically. Now, it plays a prominent role in modern society and most people can’t go a day without it. The news constantly talks about technology in some type of form, whether it is good or bad. Usually, these stories focus on teenagers since they are the ones that are heavily influenced by it, but they almost never talk about kids or pre-teens and the impact it’s had on them. Today, children and pre-teens are beginning to use technology just as much as adults and teenagers, but is this good or bad? What kind of impact will technology have on them, both now and in the future? Technology is similar to a double-edged sword, it has multiple advantages but just as many disadvantages.

Starting off with the advantages of technology, it helps make learning and teaching easier for both students and teachers. In classrooms, students are almost always on a chromebook or laptop. Doing so makes classwork easier and more efficient. Students are able to complete their homework on an electronic device, research new topics, take tests, check their grades, and much more. Technology also helps to entertain families. On TV screens, families can watch movies or TV shows and enjoy a good laugh. TVs also provide people with daily news, but if they can’t watch the news on their TV, they can also listen to it on their car radio. Car rides can often be boring, but with a radio, families and friends can listen to music, news, podcasts, and more. Technology helps to make school easier, car rides less boring, and allows families and friends to enjoy a good time.

Next comes technology and its disadvantages. Since technology plays such a big role in society today, kids continuously grow up with it surrounding them, which in turn can cause them to become dependent on it. This may not seem like a bad thing, but becoming overly dependent on technology can also cause children to use it too often which can then weaken their eyesight and brain muscle workout. Almost all communiacation between teenagers, pre-teens, and even younger children is done electronically, whether it’s through text or social media. Social media, although viewed as a good thing, has many disadvantages. Teens become obsessed with social media and spend as much time as they can on it, which can seriously affect their social skills. If kids and pre-teens become as obsessed with social media as teengers and adults do, then when they grow up they will only communicate or know how to communicate over text, social media, etc.

There are many different views on technology, some say it’s useful and others say it becomes addicting and is harmful for children. There is evidence for both sides of the argument, but one thing is for sure, the impact technology will have on young children is unknown. Social media and technology is useful and entertaining, but it’s wise not spend for someone to spend all their time on it, and every now and then it’s a good idea to go out and physically socialize with others.