The cast of Friends: Where are they now?

The+famous+Friends+sign+
The famous Friends sign

The famous Friends sign

wwarby

wwarby

The famous Friends sign

On September 22, 1994, over 20 years ago, television history was made. The official pilot airing for the sitcom Friends released and from the get go had millions of viewers hooked. The show followed the everyday lives of six friends, Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Ross, Chandler, and Joey. Throughout the ten years of the shows airing, the group went through tough times like job loss, death, breakups, and divorce, but all stayed true and loyal to each other, making it a popular show amongst families. Now, 23 years after the shows pilot, all six actors have had their share of success, and some losses. Here’s what happened to the six after the season finale.

1. David Schwimmer (Ross Geller) Just less than a year after the final heart breaking episode of Friends, David secured another major role in the widely popular animated movie franchise of Madagascar as Melman the giraffe. David was able to stick with this character for seven years until the failure of the third Madagascar movie. Today David stars in the Emmy nominated show The People v OJ Simpson as OJ’s attorney, Robert Kardashian. Besides his two largely successful movie parts, David has secured both main and side character roles in several less popular movies, and is also well known for being a broadway actor.
  2. Matthew Perry (Chandler Bing) Unlike Schwimmer, Matthew did not have as much success after Friends. Matthew sadly dove into a downward spiral of alcoholism that he still suffers from today, but is seeing groups and going to therapy so he can get his career back on track. In 2013 Matthew was a frequent character on CBS TV shows like Go On and a remake of The Odd Couple, but the shows were cancelled due to bad ratings and viewing numbers. Today in 2017 Matthew is still struggling with his sobriety and hasn’t had many good roles in either TV shows or movies.
  3. Matt Leblanc (Joey Tribbiani) Like David, Matt Leblanc has also had his fair share of success after and during Friends, starring in three incredibly popular shows, two of which are still making new episodes today. Matt’s first major role in a TV show besides Friends was in 2000 where he starred in the crime thriller Charlie’s Angels. In 2002, Matt starred in the hit TV show Top Gear, where a group of people would do several car stunts to see if the vehicle was good or not. Lastly in 2016, Matt took on the father role as Adam Burns in the CBS comedy Man with a Plan. The show is expecting its second season in the November of 2017.
  4. Courteney Cox (Monica Geller) Not only did Courteney Cox play the incredible role of Monica Geller, Ross’s clean freak of sister, she also starred in and directed the adult comedy Cougar Town, which aired for six years. During her time as Monica, Courteney also starred in the hit horror trilogy Scream. In 2011, the fourth and final Scream released, but was sadly a huge failure, not seeming to get a single good review. Now, Scream has continued as a TV show that no longer stars Courteney. Today in 2017, Courteney has not been able to secure a role in either film or television.
  5. Jennifer Aniston (Rachel Green-Geller) Now married to Justin Theroux, Jennifer Aniston’s career took flight almost immediately after the TV series concluded in 2004. From 2005 on, Jennifer starred in several romance “chick flick” movies, earning her a Golden Globe award, for her magnificent acting. Most recently Jennifer has starred in several hit comedies such as Horrible Bosses 1 and 2, and Office Christmas Party. Out of the six Friends actors, Jennifer has probably had the best filmography career prior and after Friends.
  6. Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe Buffay) Not even a full year after the end of Friends, Lisa Kudrow decided to star in her own epic sitcom. The show was titled The Comeback, and it followed the career of a B-list actress who is trying to get her career back on track. The Comeback is still making new episodes today, making the show 12 years old, which is 2 years longer than Friends lasted. Besides The Comeback, Lisa has also had some side roles in several comedy movies, such as Neighbors and Neighbors 2, and the new Dreamworks animated movie Boss Baby.

The actors of Friends have obviously been able to keep their success in other movies, but have also seen hardships. The reunion between these six actors is still trying to be put together again, but the six can’t seem to get all together.