Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Should Feminism be Promoted?

Generic symbol for Feminism

via Pixabay

Generic symbol for Feminism

Feminism is a difficult, complex topic. It has a long history, and often times stirs up debates and arguments about whether it’s right or wrong. Everyone has their own reasons and conclusions, but, in my opinion, I believe that feminism should be something we promote and try to strive towards in the future.

First of all, think to yourself and ask whether or not you believe that both genders should be able to have the same rights and privileges as one another. Do you think that it would be right to let one gender have more opportunities and advantages than another? Probably not. This is what feminism is supposed to be. It helps females to find their proper place in social, political, and economical environments, including leadership positions. According to the Wall Street Journal, women hold less than 30% of positions in senior management. They are also “far less likely to be promoted from entry level to manager”. This means that women, although just as qualified as men to get a certain role or pay raise, don’t get what they deserve. Many times, this is because of gender stereotypes and assumptions about someone’s personality. I think feminism is important to allow women to be able to also assume more senior positions, and have the same chance as any man to get that position without any sort of bias because of her gender.

I also think that feminism helps girls change their views on limitations to how far they can go in life. Have you seen little girls playing house and pretending to take care of babies and cook dinner? At the tender age of 5, even 4 years old, girls have already established the idea that, when they grow up, they will get married and be obedient wives who takes care of children and do all of the household chores. An opening paragraph from Sheryl Sandberg’s book Lean In tells the story of one little girl, about five years old, who wanted to be an astronaut when she grew up, but was in despair because her crush also wanted to be an astronaut. The significance of this is that she was worrying, “Who would take care of their children when they went into space?”  This way of thinking had already been molded into this little girl’s brain. In kindergarten, she was already worrying about childcare and safety for her future kids! Feminism has certainly helped to eliminate the boundaries placed in front of young girls, to allow them to step up to big opportunities and jobs without assumed gender roles or any type of discouragement and criticism from others.

Often times, feminism is visualised as angry, fierce women who hate men. By stereotype, feminists want to take over the world and get rid of men entirely. Many people just look at that stereotype and believe it. Although there are some feminists who have this viewpoint, feminism isn’t about getting rid of men, or the superiority of women. It certainly doesn’t mean that women are better than men, and that they should take over the world. It is only fighting for women to have the same opportunities as men, without a bias against them. In my opinion, feminism should be promoted. I believe we need to take the necessary steps to ensure that women get fair treatment in the workplace and in learning environments. This is what I think is beneficial to the world, and, though true equality between the genders may never be achieved completely, we are still progressing little by little, and feminism is something that can contribute to the process.