Filed under Opinion

Should School Uniforms be Abolished or Kept?

Examples of school uniforms

Examples of school uniforms

via livinlavidarick.com

via livinlavidarick.com

Examples of school uniforms

A debatable topic that has been surrounding school authorities for years, uniforms being applied as a mandatory dress code has still been a controversial issue. The first uniforms were draped blue coats, presented in 15th century English schools for orphans. This standard way of dress, helped differentiate children from different schools. Since then, uniforms evolved in style, however their purpose remained the same. Uniforms were practical articles of clothing that mainly exercised identity and cohesion. They also aroused a sense of equality and belonging and helped one thrive and prosper. However, uniform cons should be equally addressed as not all agree with uniforms being the standard. Some include restriction from self-expression and the lack of creativity on the clothing themselves. With all the different perspectives on the uniform topic a question arises from the tangled context of mixed views, “Should students even have to wear uniforms?” From my perspective , I believe that uniforms should be the standard dress in schools for the following reasons, students are not distracted by fashion, it is more cost effective, and school spirit rises.
One major benefit, is that students aren’t distracted by the many fashion trends on the market today. Less distraction towards appearance means students will be more dedicated and diligent when working. After all, uniforms are just what a person puts on themselves not their whole lives, and they are of course free to wear what they favor on weekends and holidays. Uniforms don’t cause an interference with your personal image, but rather boosts your ability to thrive as one in your school.
Another reason why uniforms should be kept is because uniforms are overall more cost effective. Uniforms are budget-friendly when thought about in the long run, and parents will only have to purchase several outfits a year. Uniforms are durable and long-lasting, that can be worn throughout the school year without becoming too expensive. They are also more predictable in pricing rather than regular clothing.
Additionally a uniform shows school spirit and reflects a positive image for both the school and child. School spirit is exaggerated when all the attending students exhibit unity through their appearance. Students also psychologically feel part of a team, in a comfort zone, and togetherness among their school. Uniforms show that kids actually are actively participating in class, benefiting the school that they attend and the community by showing good education in their area. A student is also easier to identify if ever lost on a field trip.
From being a less expensive clothing choice to expressing one’s unity and togetherness, uniforms are an effective way to bring a school together as a team. Individuality can still be expressed in many different ways, and being part of a group embraces character and personality on a larger scale. The pro’s on uniform use by far outweigh the cons, so therefore uniforms are beneficial in the educational environment and should be introduced into more schools as well.