Hayao Miyazaki’s Best Works

Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle

Bago Book Review via Flickr

Bago Book Review via Flickr

Howl's Moving Castle

Hayao Miyazaki is a famous japanese animation director that has captured the hearts of many around the globe. His movies contain entertaining plots, stunning animation, and extraordinary and original characters. His works feature 8 successful productions directed and also written by Hayao. These movies are, The Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl’s Moving Castle.

The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
The Castle of Cagliostro, is Miyazaki’s first feature-length film. The film starts with Lupin III and Jigen robbing a Monte Carlo casino, but soon find out that the money was a fake. A tiny nation of Cagliostro was able to make these bills that was able to trick the respected casino. Who was the person who had created these bills? The small nation was under the influence of the evil Count. Coincidentally, Lupin and Jigen run into this Count’s bride, Clarisse, who was trying to escape her wedding. After the Count recaptures Clarisse and the duo decides to rescue her with Goemon and Inspector Zenigata.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1985)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, takes place centuries after the war. Princess Nausicaa leads the people of the Valley of the Wind. Clans battle with each other with planes, tanks, and swords. Nausicaa must lead her people as well as deal with the insects of the jungle. The insects are called the Ohmu, a species of giant bugs that poisons the atmosphere around them.

Castle in the Sky (1986)
Aired in 1986, Castle in the Sky begins with the appearance of a young girl with a crystal pendant who falls from the sky into the arms of a boy, Pazu. Together, they search for the floating island which promises abundant wealth and power. The floating island contains a deceased civilization and can only provide its wealth to those who unlocks its secrets. However, pirates, spies, and the army is also in pursuit for the island.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Created in 1988, My Neighbor Totoro is a heartwarming film about two young girls who move into the countryside alongside their father in order to become closer with their mother. As they explore around their community, they have an encounter with an imposing creature that lives in the forest. The film is about the girls and the forest creature’s adventures together.

Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989)
Kiki’s Delivery Service is an adventurous tale about a young witch during her mandatory year of starting a new life by herself. She ventures off to a bustling city where she would start her profound life. Kiki struggles to find her prominent ability as a witch. She later has a fateful encounter with a baker and performs her first delivery. She makes a deal with the baker to allow her to rent the attic and perform her deliveries and in return, she would monitor the bakery.

Princess Mononoke (1997)
The tale of Princess Mononoke starts with the encounter of a boy named Ashitaka and a boar forest god. Ashitaka prevents the wild boar spirit from savaging his village but consequently, he attained the Tatarigami’s curse. He sets out on journey to find a cure but instead joins a war between the forest gods and a mining colony. During his quest he encounters the Mononoke Hime, San and aids in the war between the forest and mining colony.

Spirited Away (2001)
Probably the best production by director Miyazaki, Spirited Away, is a tale of a lost girl, Chihiro. The plot revolves around a world of monsters and spirits unknown to many. The film starts with Chihiro on her way to live in the suburbs but, as her family tries to take a shortcut, they decide to explore a seemingly abandoned town. Chihiro’s parents turn into pigs as they eat the food provided in the town and Chihiro attempts to go back but is unable to. As she desperately tries to escape, she encounters a boy named Haku, who teaches Chihiro the rules of this new world. She learns that one, she must work and two, she must harbor the new name Sen, for if she forgets her real name, she would not be permitted to ever leave. While harboring the name Sen and working at a bathhouse, she must find her parents and escape this world full of creatures.

Howl’s Moving Castle (2004)
Howl’s Moving Castle, is a sensational film that delivers imagination to the screen. The plot starts with Sophie, an 18-year-old girl who runs a hat shop. On her way to visit her sister, she experiences a rare encounter with the wizard Howl, a flamboyant wizard, famed for his notorious self traveling home. However, Sophie becomes cursed with a body of an old woman and is unable to reverse the curse. She runs away from her home and takes shelter in Howl’s home. Calcifer, a fire demon, tries to aid Sophie to reverse her curse. The rest of the plot revolves around Sophie’s quest to reverse the curse and the relationship between Howl and Sophie.