Filed under Sports

MLB Rookie Phenom

Aaron Judge at bat

Aaron Judge at bat

via Flickr

via Flickr

Aaron Judge at bat

“Popcorn, peanuts… Get your red hots here!” The game of baseball is an iconic part of the American experience, and is like a rich tapestry intertwined with memorable moments, statistics, players, fans, ballpark food, and even the ballpark itself. Players such as Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron, or Roberto Clemente are known, and celebrated, by any baseball fan. Drop the name Vin Scully, and folks will get that nostalgic look in their eyes, as if they are remembering the quintessential LA summer evening brought to life by the golden tones of Vin Scully, and punctuated by the crack of the bat and the roar of the crowd. In terms of teams that are woven into the fabric of Americana, there is no team more iconic than the New York Yankees.

The Bronx Bombers came to New York in 1913, and began their role as a dominant part of baseball history. As one of the most successful sports clubs not only in baseball, but the world, the Yankees have won 18 division titles, 40 AL pennants, and 27 World Series championships. Some notable Yankee players that live on in history include, Babe Ruth (714 career home runs), Joe DiMaggio (best known for his 56-game hitting streak in 1941, and setting a franchise record in 1936 by hitting 29 home runs in his rookie season). Recently retired Derek Jeter (finished his career ranked sixth in MLB history in career hits and first among shortstops) held the heart of New Yorkers like a baseball in his leather glove through his hard work, leadership, and true sportsmanship.

Up and coming rookie, Aaron Judge, is looking to shake up the history books in a similar manner to his historic predecessors. On July 7th, in a game against the Milwaukee Brewers, Aaron stepped into Yankees history with his 30th home run of the season, passing a franchise record set in 1936 by Joe DiMaggio. Not only did Judge break DiMaggio’s record, but he did it before the mid-way point in the season (marked by the All-Star game). DiMaggio set the record in 128 games, but Judge achieved this historic mark in only 82 games. Aaron played college ball at Cal State Fresno, and was drafted by the Yankees in the first round of the 2013 MLB draft. He debuted with the team in 2016, and has since won numerous awards, and a spot on the 2017 All-Star team. Keep your eye on this rookie player, because years from now, his name will surely be listed as an icon of major league baseball.

Tip of the hat to you Aaron Judge, keep tearin’ the cover off the ball!