Filed under Food & Travel

Fabulous Madrid, Spain

María Cristina de Borbón, Queen of Spain 1830 by Vicente López

exfordy via Flickr

exfordy via Flickr

Imagine being on a world tour. The plane is about to land in, the city of Madrid, considered the heart of Spain. Breathing in the sweet, cold air. The vibrant colors of the buildings and the busy atmosphere are distracting. Madrid is a beautiful city and the capital of Spain. Spain is located in the Mediterranean Sea. The city of Madrid has many monuments and tourist attractions. This city has many reasons why it is worth visiting.

Attractions
Probably the most popular tourist attraction in Madrid is Palacio Real. A palace built for Spanish royalty. The palace hasn’t been occupied by royalty since the early 1900’s. Tours are given throughout the day. This palace has 2,500 neatly furnished and beautiful rooms. It was built in 1764. The building is over 250 years old yet it is still very popular. The palace is still used for special and important occasions. Next, Plaza Mayor is also very popular for tourists to visit. The plaza dates back to 1619. During that time it laid outside of city boundaries and was solely used to host bullfights. During the Spanish Inquisition people who were accused of heretics met their death there. This plaza may have a bloody history but today is has a visitor center and many other attractions. There are many tourist destinations in this beautiful city. Retiro Park, is a beautiful area that has modern arts, gazebos, and nature’s beauty. This park is giant, and people could spend hours exploring the gardens and rivers.

The Food
Located in the Mediterranean sea, Spain’s capital, Madrid, has many different types of food. In Spain eggs are seen as more of a lunchtime rather than breakfast meal. Huevos Rotos are a traditional meal made with eggs, fried potatoes, and bread. Huevos Rotos literally mean “broken eggs.” As a common afternoon snack, Churros con Chocolate is well liked by the people of Madrid. This dish is actually just a churro with a side of hot chocolate. This snack is perfect for cold days. Lastly on the list of common dishes is Bocadillo de Calamares, or fried squid sandwich. Calamari is served on top of bread in the shape of rings. Caracoles, or better known as snails, this dish may sound gross but it is very famous. Baby eels are also on the menu. These eels are one of the more expensive dishes, but they are extremely popular for those who like adventure. These foods may be a little to adventurous to many people, but they also have food that is not too adventurous.

Calendar of Events
The Autumn to Spring Festival is held from October 13 to June 15. The festival has theater and dance performances. There are also a great many of shows and musical acts. The entire city holds this festival, and many of these things appear in many unusual places.

San Isidro is probably the most popular festival in all of Spain. It is held on May 15th. The festival is based around a bullfight, the largest bullfight in Madrid. Tickets are sold out a whole month before the bullfight. After the fight there is a parade and lots of celebrating.

Carnaval Cadiz takes place during Carnival prior to Lent, and is only beaten by the one in Brazil in terms of outrageous celebrations. This is one of the largest celebrations in the world. Entertainment is found everywhere. People are dressed in their favorite costumes. There are many circus performers and floats. Carnaval Cadiz is a huge party that has everything, from food to entertainment. This is a crazy party.

Madrid is an amazing tourist destination. There are many festivals and celebrations. The food is exquisite, and the sights are unforgettable. The festivals are held all the time, so no matter when people are there they can experience something amazing. Who doesn’t travel to try new foods? There is an amazing array of different types of food. Lastly the sights, you could roam the city’s many historical landmarks. There are so many things to do in Madrid that people will not get bored.