Filed under Food & Travel, Showcase

Superb San Francisco

The iconic Golden Gate Bridge

The iconic Golden Gate Bridge

Leonardo Pallotta via Everystockphoto

Leonardo Pallotta via Everystockphoto

The iconic Golden Gate Bridge

There are thousands of cities in the world, millions of travelers on our planet, but only a few cities in the world that are truly a city like no other. Some cities feature their unique historical landmarks, while some show off their shopping districts. For travelers, it sometimes may be hard to find the best city to travel in since they want the best of both worlds, finding both history and shopping all in one city. Believe or not, there is a city that can satisfy the needs of both types of travelers – San Francisco. San Francisco is located in the United States of America, specifically in California. From the hustle and bustle to the mellow historical sites, traveling in San Francisco will never be a bore.
The history of San Francisco dates back to over one hundred years ago when San Francisco was gained by the United States in 1846. Originally, San Francisco was in the hands of the Spanish and Mexicans with missions and pueblos. In 1846, the great Gold Rush led to San Francisco’s drastic increase in both population and popularity. What many would call a “melting pot” rather than a “tossed salad”, San Francisco began attracting many people, globally because many people around the world were hungry for money. Miners from around the world wanted to go to San Francisco since gold correlates to money! Sadly, an earthquake and a fire in 1906 practically destroyed all of San Francisco, yet this city seemed to be unharmed by the damage. San Francisco remained a city of prosperity, culture, and highly-advanced technology.
In San Francisco, culture is just as important as its history. Many think of San Francisco as a city of hustle and bustle and a city of openness, regarding one’s sexuality. San Francisco is completely open to all sexualities, so the city has been dubbed the title of an LGBT community since it is so diverse. Literature is an essential factor of San Francisco since many well-known writers find their voice in San Francisco. One writer named Samuel Clemens began his writing career by first using his pen name, Mark Twain, and then later on discovering his passion for informational writing. Besides books, San Francisco is also huge on their newspaper! The San Francisco Chronicle is this city’s newspaper, and their newspaper even won Pulitzer Prize. The San Francisco Chronicle plays a key role in the history of San Francisco. The music of San Francisco consists of jazz and many other classical groups. The San Francisco Symphony, the San Francisco Ballet, and the San Francisco Opera are all well-known musical performing groups. Many popular songs like “The San Francisco Sound” were written here.
Also, innovation and entrepreneurship are crucial in regards to the culture of San Francisco. San Francisco is known for its innovation since the Gold Rush was in San Francisco, a time when 49ers traveled to California, hungry for gold and entrepreneurs like Levi Strauss created products ideal for miners to utilize. Huge companies like HP, Apple, Facebook, eBay, and Google all lie in the boundaries of San Francisco since these companies are all a part of the Silicon Valley.
San Francisco attracts all people of all personalities since this city can offer a variety of ways to entertain their traveler. Featuring tall buildings and steep inclines, San Francisco may be compact and not provide a lot of space, but all of its attractions definitely compensate for it. One attraction that is not to be missed is the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s a must for a traveler to see this bridge since over 120,000 vehicles drive on it daily and the Golden Gate Bridge is the largest bridge in the world! Many say that the Golden Gate is one of the most photographed things in the world, considering its elegance and overall beauty. The oldest Chinatown is in San Francisco, with 24 blocks of hustle and bustle. There, it is guaranteed that traditional restaurants, exotic shops, and many small temples will be found and should all definitely be experienced. Maybe even try enjoying a little Dim Sum lunch along the way!
As of 2016 when the population count was last conducted, San Francisco’s population reached a high 86,000. San Francisco is appealing to people who like louder cities and not so quiet suburban cities. One advantage of living in San Francisco is that the burritos there are amazing! Yes, the burritos are amazing, so amazing that they are worth moving to San Francisco for. Also, for people who live in San Francisco, owning a car is not necessary. With taxi systems like Uber and Lyft, many who live in San Francisco don’t have to worry about driving up steep inclines. When living in San Francisco, the true meaning of hustle and bustle will definitely be fulfilled.
For the next summer break, try going to San Francisco and there will definitely be so much to discover. From the hustle and bustle to the historical background, San Francisco has so much to offer to any traveler. San Francisco is waiting!