Filed under Sports

Nicky Hayden, Champion Motorcyclist, Killed In Italy

A+motorcycle.+
A motorcycle.

A motorcycle.

via EveryStockPhoto

via EveryStockPhoto

A motorcycle.

Recently, American champion motorcyclist Nicky Hayden, died after being hit by a car while training at the age of 35. He was bicycling on the Rimini coast in Italy when this tragic event occurred. Nicknamed “The Kentucky Kid”, Hayden started motorcycle racing early on in his life, at the age of 16. He won many events throughout his career, including the MotoGP World Championship in 2006. On May 14, a few days before his accident,. he had just finished competing in the Superbike World Championship competition in Imola. He came from humble beginnings, and he was very proud of that.

On May 17, 2017, Hayden was in Cesena, Italy when he was hit by a car. That crash left him suffering from damage to his head, chest, and abdomen. He was transported to Maurizio Bufalini Hospital in Cesena, still in critical condition. He died five days later in the hospital, with his mom and his fiancee there next to him. A report from the hospital stated,”The medical team has verified the death of the patient Nicholas Patrick Hayden, who has been undergoing care since last Wednesday 17 May in the intensive care unit of the Bufalini Hospital in Cesena following a very serious polytrauma which occurred the same day.” The 30 year old driver that hit the motorcyclist was investigated, but it was found that they were not over the speed limit. The results of this investigation are expected to be released in July. His brother, Tommy Hayden, who is also a motorcyclist stated, ”Although this is obviously a sad time, we would like everyone to remember Nicky at his happiest – riding a motorcycle. He dreamed as a kid of being a pro rider and not only achieved that but also managed to reach the pinnacle of his chosen sport in becoming world champion. We are all so proud of that.”

The Red Bull Honda team explained in a statement, “As well as being a true champion on the track, Nicky was a fan favourite off it due to his kind nature, relaxed demeanour, and the huge smile he invariably carried everywhere. The ‘Kentucky Kid’ will be sorely missed by all that ever had the pleasure of meeting him or the privilege to see him race a motorcycle around a track, be it dirt or asphalt.”

It is a great shame that Nicky Hayden had to leave this way, but he will always be remembered for his amazing races and accomplishments. He is considered one of the most significant motorcycle racers in this generation. Kraemer student Dylan M. states,” I have never heard of this person before, but it is sad that he died in this way.”