Cryogenic Freezing

Man sitting on frozen water.

Man sitting on frozen water.

Riccardo Bresciani

Riccardo Bresciani

Man sitting on frozen water.

In our world of current science, a question that is being thought of by scientists is if us humans should attempt to preserve our bodies and minds for the future. One of the practices that is in hope of preserving a body for the future has already started to be used, and it is called cryogenic freezing. Cryogenic freezing is physically freezing a currently dead human’s body with liquid nitrogen. This process, along with other specifically important procedures, allows for the body to be in a state without decay or damage to the organs. The body is put into temperatures below 0, the fluids in the body are altered so they won’t freeze, and more procedures are made in order to completely preserve the body. Once we hit a period where our technology and science is advanced enough to revive a human, the scientists would then re-animate the body, bringing it back to life and curing them of what they were diagnosed with.

Cryogenics are a very controversial topic and ever since the practice began, there were doubts about it. For example, a surfacing story that has become very popular is about a 14 year old girl with cancer. She was told that she would die soon, so she decided to ask her parents if they could let her be cryogenically frozen. Her mother supported it, but her father did not. The case was taken to court, and eventually, it was decided that the mother had the decision. In the end, the 14 year old girl, once she peacefully passed, was cryogenically frozen, and will hopefully be re-animated in the future. Obviously, opinions depend on each person, as it is a very tough and important decision for a person to make.

One part of the cryogenics topic that is against the pro-freeze side is what would happen to one after they are to be re-animated. Say that science advances, and someone who is cryogenically frozen is put back into life. This is hundreds or maybe even thousands of years after their family has passed away; so who will they go to? There will be no family to support the person who had come back from the dead, unless some sort of system is made for that (which is non-existent at the moment).

Another problem with cryogenic freezing is the possibility of overpopulation if the treatment becomes a normal thing. We are currently dealing with famine in our world of 7.5 billion people. If cryogenic freezing becomes popular and widely used, there will be a lot more people, that can definitely further overpopulation. There would be limited homes and food for these people that come back from their long, chilly sleep.

Obviously, cryogenics is an interesting idea, but very risky and there are some down sides to it. When asked about their opinion on cryogenics, 8th grade student at Kraemer Middle School Kamron P. says, “I think it is kind of dumb. I don’t see how it is possible to bring someone back to conscious. Even if it does work, I think it is more of an ethical sort of thing.”