Filed under Opinion

Why Disney Needs More Original Stories

Disney hasn't been making as many original movies as they used to.

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

Walt Disney Animation Studios is mostly famous for its creative, groundbreaking, and exciting stories. Even their adaptations of classic fairy tales are absolutely enticing as animated films. However, within the past decade, something has gone horribly wrong. Disney has recently become a sequel machine, designed to spit out either sequels of their more well-earning movies, or live-action remakes of their own movies. And this really sucks. Just by glancing at a list of recent Disney and/or Pixar animated films, the appearance of remakes and sequels is obvious. Take the 2017 remake of the classic Disney film, Beauty and the Beast. Or the upcoming Cars 3 movie from Pixar. While neither of these movies are exactly new concepts, the reason why Disney is making them is clear: money.

The movie Cars was one of Pixar’s lowest rated movies on Rotten Tomatoes, second only to its sequel, Cars 2. However, Pixar has seen fit to continue to make more movies for the franchise only because Cars has been extremely profitable in the merchandise area. As for Beauty and the Beast, everyone knows that Disney has recently been creating remakes of their classic films, such as Cinderella or The Jungle Book. The Beauty and the Beast remake did fare incredibly well at the box office, though, raking in just over a billion dollars. While that is pretty impressive, there was hardly anything original about the movie. It was still the same story: girl is held captive by beast, girl falls in love with beast, girl saves beast’s life, everyone lives happily ever after. It’s possible that the presence of famous actors in the remake contributed to the movie’s popularity, with Emma Watson and Josh Gad both starring in it. But when will Disney continue to create the original, inspirational stories that fans loved?

In 2016, Disney released two original movies which were both successful in the box office, Zootopia, which documents life in a world of anthropomorphic animals, and Moana, wherein a Polynesian girl must go on an adventure to save her island from total destruction. This might make it seem like Disney isn’t doing so bad on making new ideas, but looking forward rather than backwards shows the truth. The lineup for Disney and Pixar over the next couple of years includes sequels for Toy Story, The Incredibles, Frozen, and Wreck it Ralph. Not to mention, Disney has also made plans to release five more live-action remakes of some classic films.

That doesn’t mean there’s no more hope for any new Disney movies with creative stories. Also on the slate for releases in the next couple of years are Coco, a story about the Mexican celebration of Dia de los Muertos, and Gigantic, an adaptation of the classic Jack and the Beanstalk tale. But still, I do wish for the time when Disney and Pixar finally start to churn out as many original ideas as they used to. I get it, Disney is above all, a company that will do whatever it takes to rake in as much cash as possible. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but really, it’s not as if the companies were struggling before they started making a sequel for every single movie of theirs that was remotely successful. I feel that the sequels and remakes of classic Disney movies lack originality and creativity. It’s the same characters, with the exact same plot as always, in the case of live action remakes, or an entirely unnecessary plot for sequels. Kraemer student Lindsey N. agrees, saying “I feel like a lot of Disney sequels are annoying. If Disney makes a Frozen 2, then I’ll cry.” She was indeed near tears when I told her that they are making a sequel.

Sure, there are some decent sequels that came from Disney and Pixar. Toy Story 2 and Toy Story 3 are both excellent movies with entertaining plots that might as well be among other Disney classics. But I still think that Disney would do well to focus just slightly more on creating new characters, new worlds, and new experiences for its audiences. If they concentrate on making fascinating and compelling stories for new generations of viewers, then Disney might just do even better both financially and entertainment-wise.