Filed under Opinion

Should BTS Have Won the Top Social Artist Award at the BBMAs?

The+band+BTS+won+the+Top+Social+Artist+Award+at+the+2017+BBMAs.+
The band BTS won the Top Social Artist Award at the 2017 BBMAs.

via Wikipedia

via Wikipedia

There are so many awards ceremonies nowadays, it is hard to keep up. Ranging from the Grammys to the Golden Globe awards, award ceremonies are definitely something that people need to be aware of. The 2017 Billboard Music Awards were hosted on May 21st, 2017, and in my opinion, it was definitely a hit. The Billboard Music Awards, also referred to as the BBMAs, is a ceremony that is held by Billboard, a publication and music popularity chart that covers pretty much the whole music industry. The first BBMA’s were held in 1990, and the awards included #1 Pop Artist, #1 Adult Contemporary Male Artist, and many more. However, the award ceremony that introduced the Top Social Artist was only in 2011, which is not that long ago. For the past 6 years, Justin Bieber continuously won the Top Social Artist, beating other musicians such as Rihanna, Selena Gomez, Ariana Grande, Shawn Mendes, and One Direction. However, that all changed when BTS won the Top Social Artist Award this year.

But, what exactly is the Top Social Artist Award? Well, this award is voted on by fans, tweeting different hashtags right before the winner of the award is announced. And then, there is the other question that is lingering in the air; who in the world is BTS? BTS, otherwise known as the Bangtan Boys, is a seven-member K-pop group founded by Big Hit Entertainment in South Korea. The members of BTS include Jungkook, Jimin, V, Rap Monster, Jin, Suga, and J-Hope. Upon receiving the award, Rap Monster said onstage, “We still cannot believe that we’re standing on this stage at the Billboard Music Awards. It is great to see all the artists we admire, and we feel honored to be in this category with all these great artists right in front of us.” Although the K-pop groups award was celebrated, there were also many people confused as to why “a group of asians” had won the award.

There is a lot of controversy as to if BTS should’ve won the award, but, it’s quite obvious that they worked very hard to get that award, no matter what people say. After BTS was announced as the winner of the Top Social Artist Award, Twitter broke out with a lot of backlash, with people saying things like, “What are these asians doing here?” and “Who are these asians and why did they win?” Fans of the group became outraged, and started to comment on how the K-pop group had worked very hard to get the award they earned, and didn’t cheat their way to it.

BTS deserved this award, and I think that the people who say otherwise don’t realize how hard it is to be a member of a K-pop group. Groups like BTS work their butts off to make music that is enjoyable and practice amazing dance moves, which most musicians in America will never be able to do. Not every singer that makes it big in the United States can dance and sing, and have great personalities to top it off.

Obviously, everybody has different opinions as to if BTS should have won the BBMA’s or not, but people should really consider the fact that they worked hard for the award. Yunji K., an eighth grader here at Kraemer Middle School, says, “I don’t listen to K-pop, but that doesn’t mean BTS didn’t deserve that award. BTS deserved that award just as much as any other American artist would.”