Filed under Showcase, Sports

LA Dodgers Starting Pitchers

A Dodgers foam glove.

via EveryStockPhoto

A Dodgers foam glove.

Baseball is one of the most well-known and popular sports in America. The MLB, or Major League Baseball, is where some of the best baseball players play on teams much like any major sports league. There are 30 teams spread all throughout America and Canada and the Dodgers are one of those teams. Located in Los Angeles, the Dodgers, are the team that many famous players have played on including Jackie Robinson and Sandy Koufax. Today, they still have many great players on their roster including 5 great starting pitchers. Pitchers are perhaps one of the most important players as they throw the ball that the opposing team tries to hit. In this article, I will talk briefly about each Dodgers pitcher.

1. Clayton Kershaw

Currently ranked as the number one pitcher in the MLB, Kershaw is an extremely talented left-handed pitcher. Standing at 6 feet 3 inches, he has a devastating curveball and is an overall great player. He was born in Dallas, Texas on March 19, 1988, and was raised by his mother as his parents got divorced when he was ten years old. In high school, Kershaw was drafted by the LA Dodgers in 2006 and played in the minor leagues for only 2 and a half seasons before entering the major leagues. Although he did not do too well during his first season, he came back for his second season with a strong arm and played very well. Kershaw continued to prove how much of a great baseball player he was and won the Cy Young Award, which is given to the two best pitchers, 3 times in just 4 years which is an incredible feat. Furthermore, in 2015, he struckout 301 batters while only walking 16, and last season, he threw 172 strikeouts which is extremely impressive. In 2017, he is still a healthy pitcher who plays a large role in the Dodgers team.

1.   Brandon McCarthy

Brandon McCarthy was born on July 7, 1983 in Glendale California. In high school, he was drafted and later entered the MLB for the first time in 2005, three years after he was drafted. He started his career off with the Chicago White Sox, but went on to play with the Texas Rangers, Oakland Athletics, Arizona Diamondbacks, New York Yankees, and finally the Los Angeles Dodgers. Although it is hard to see McCarthy throw a changeup, he utilizes his skillful sinker, cutter, and curveballs. He is very successful and was even the 77th player to ever end an inning in 9 pitches or 3 strikeouts! McCarthy is a strong and determined player and this is evident because, he was once hit by a baseball and suffered a skull fracture and a brain contusion, but came back healthy and now plays a crucial role in the Dodger lineup.

1.  Rich Hill

Another great pitcher on the Dodgers is Rich Hill. He was born on March 11, 1980 and debuted on June 15, 2005 after attending Milton High School and the University of Michigan. He is quite tall standing at 6 feet 5 inches, but his height does not seem to hinder his great pitches. Hill was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 1999 June Amatuer Draft, and played on several teams including the Chicago Cubs, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, Anaheim Angels, New York Yankees, Boston Red Soxs, and the Oakland Athletics before finally coming to the Dodgers. Last season, playing with the Dodgers, he had an earned run average (ERA) of 1.83, which is an extremely good stat, as any ERA under 4.00 is considered good.

1.  Kenta Maeda

Kenta Maeda is a Japanese baseball player who was born on April 11, 1988 in Osaka, Japan. He attended a high school located in his birth town and eventually started to play with the Hiroshima Carp of Nippon Professional Baseball. During his 8 years of playing professional baseball in Japan, he won the Eiji Sawamura Award which is given to the best starting pitcher in the Nippon Professional Baseball league, two times. He also played on the Japan national team in the World Baseball Classic, and was even an all-star 5 times. Through the years, he proved his skill and finally received the chance to play in the major leagues in America. He was selected by the Dodgers and has played for them since his first game in the MLB. Maeda debuted in the MLB on April 6, 2016 and has been a great addition to the roster with a solid 3.48 ERA last season.

1.   Ryu Hyun-Jin

Another baseball player who played abroad before joining the MLB, Ryu Hyun-Jin, is a South Korean pitcher on the Dodgers. He was born on March 25, 1987 in Incheon, South Korea. He showed a talent in baseball ever since he was young, and even played on the South Korean national junior baseball team before starting his professional career. Later on, he joined the Korean Baseball Organization (KBO), and played with the Hanwha Eagles from 2006 to 2012 and was a KBO All-star for sevens seasons. After having much success in Korea, Ryu joined the LA Dodgers and debuted on April 2, 2013. He did well during his first few seasons and was an important pitcher in the Dodgers lineup before getting injured. Ryu’s injury caused him to have to take a break from the MLB for two years. However, he has come back this season, and is showing that he still has what it takes to be in the MLB and many fans are curious to see how he will do throughout the season.

To summarize, though there are other pitchers on the Dodgers, these pitchers are the players who make up the starting lineup. The Dodgers are doing great and hopefully, they will continue to do so.