Filed under Opinion

Should SBAC Testing Be Abolished?

SBAC testing might not be as important as one might think.

via StockSnap

via StockSnap

State testing has just recently passed here at Kraemer, and many parents, as well as students, are wondering if it’s really needed. Students this past week have spent hours on end just staring at a computer screen, trying to complete multiple tests, and teachers have not enjoyed monitoring their students without being able to interact with their class for a long period of time. Below are some reasons as to why I personally believe that these tests should no longer be taken.

To start off, SBAC tests don’t count towards our grade or educational improvement. In fact, most colleges don’t even care to look at our state testing scores and   résumés don’t require our scores. In fact, the only test scores that will really count will be the ones that we take in high school, such as the SATs or ACTs. I also think that schools  spend too much time prepping for mediocre, unreliable exams, especially at struggling schools that could use more enrichment. Additionally, schools tend to unnecessarily pressure students into getting the best possible score they can, and work their absolute hardest because the better the score, the better the school.  

Another reason why state tests should not be taken is because these particular tests don’t accurately measure the skills that students are wanted to learn such as critical thinking, creativity, and complex problem solving. Instead of having mainly multiple-choice exams, I think it would be better for the state tests to be modeled off on the portfolios of class work and projects presented throughout the school year, so students have an idea of what to expect and will be less stressed. Furthermore, these strenuous tests tend to mess up our schedules and it can be very tiresome for students since they have to adjust to a new schedule. These “new” schedules add another layer of stress on both students and teachers, teachers having classes going at different paces and students having to complete other classwork at home. Speaking of “stress,” students and teachers are already stressed enough about school ending and multiple projects they have to finish, and the thought of having to take an almost and hour and a half test each day, for three days in a row, adds to the stress level of both students and teachers.

Contrary to what others may think about state testing, I believe that it should no longer be taken. These particular tests can be stressful and extensive, and instead of taking tests, students should instead be able to focus on completing other class projects or preparing for the end of the school year. Kraemer student Yunnie K. claims, “I personally do not enjoy taking SBAC tests and I would greatly appreciate it if these tests would no longer have to be taken.”