Filed under Opinion

Fidget Spinners- Waste or Worth It?

Do fidget toys really help people focus?

via StockSnap

via StockSnap

Lately, there has been a trend going around, known to most as fidget spinners. Fidget Spinners are toys that are designed so they spin while being held. They come in many different sizes, shapes, and colors. Some have LED lights, metallic features, and special effects. These may be popular but are they a waste or are they worth it? A fidget spinner can cost any price, depending on the style. These can cost from as much as one thousand dollars, to as little as five dollars.  These toys are very popular with middle school and elementary students. There are many pros and cons to having a fidget spinner.

Why are fidget spinners worth it? Fidget spinners help children with ADHD, autism, and anxiety. These spinners are supposed to be designed to help people focus and to help relieve stress. Fidget spinners are meant to be felt, not seen, giving kids something for their hands to do while their eyes are focused on the teacher. These are said to help distract kids from the problems going around in the world today. The spinners may help with trauma, or shock. What exactly do these spinners do that helps with all these disorders? The spinner gives ADHD students something to occupy their fingers with. With their fingers distracted their minds are more free to pay attention to what is going on around them. Kraemer student Ki C. states, “ Fidget spinners are fun. I don’t know what people have against them. They are fun.” These spinners have many good factors that make them worth having.

On the other hand, spinners could also be a distraction from what is going on around them. Many students may not be able to keep their hands busy and their minds focused. The spinners come in many distracting colors and styles. Fidget spinners are just a toy. Not all kids need fidget spinners. If they are not for medical purpose, they are for personal entertainment. Many people may say that they have trouble keeping still in class, as an excuse to have one. This is true, for everyone. No one can stay still for long amounts of time. Everyone moves a little, whether it is twirling hair or tapping fingers. Because of the busy world we live in we are almost always distracted, but that does not mean everyone needs a fidget spinner. Lastly, the fidget spinner is just a trend. Soon it will be over, and all the money spent will be wasted.

These are a few of the many pros and cons to the fidget spinner. The spinners worth is a matter of opinion. People may think that fidget spinners are awesome while others think that they have no value. Kaitlyn L. said, “ I think that lots of these fidget spinners are overpriced. Also some people do not need spinners, they have them to impress their friends.” These are a few things to think about when people play with or are thinking about getting a fidget spinner.