Filed under Opinion

Is the Bugatti Chiron Worth Buying?

via Stocksnap

via Stocksnap

Automobiles Ettore Bugatti was an old French car manufacturer that had built high-performance cars. However, after Ettore Bugatti, the founder, and his son died, the company closed down. After many years, an Italian entrepreneur revived the company as an exclusive sports car builder. Now, the Bugatti name is owned by German automobile manufacturer company Volkswagen. Under a new name, Bugatti had only created one new car, the Bugatti Veyron, until now. Bugatti has just made a new car as the successor of the Veyron, but better. They have named it the Bugatti Chiron, and it’s better in anyway possible than its predecessor. But is it worth it?

The Bugatti is incredibly fast, powerful, agile and sleek while attaining one of the highest levels possible in comfort and design. It’s got the Lamborghini’s speed and power, and the beauty and luxury of a Rolls Royce. The Chiron can reach up to 261 mph with a total 1,479 of brake horsepower, making it the fastest production car in the world. It can reach 0-60 mph in 2.5 seconds. But what makes it so fast? It’s weight, tires, and of course its powerful, roaring engine. The Chiron’s engine performance is basically the Veyron’s 8-litre, quad-turbo W16 engine, but newly developed, making its performance 25% more than its predecessor.

Because of its massive engine, Bugatti needed to decrease the car’s weight in other areas, so they used a carbon-fiber monocoque, carbon-fiber rear-subframe, and carbon fiber skin. The weight totaled up to be about 4,400 Lb. All this speed and power would crash the car if proper, big brakes were not installed. Chiron’s wheels are bigger, with more grip to give the driver more traction control.

As said earlier however, the Bugatti Chiron is not just a supercar, but a luxury car as well. Bugatti doesn’t consider the Chiron, or any other of their cars as just cars. They believe that it is an art. That’s why they take so long to make a new car. They combine aerodynamic necessities with elegance, and they did a great job with the Chiron. For example, the front lights are amazing, but they aren’t just lights. They are also intakes that direct all the air to the engine and cylinders, allowing them to be easily cooled down. The interior of the car is just as amazing as the exterior. In the interior, a narrow center console houses the gear lever and 4 circular air-con dials, each beautifully designed, just like a jewel. But the real jewels are in the speakers, a one-carat diamond membrane on each of the four tweeters, to make the sound quality crystal-clear.  

Though the Bugatti may be one of the best cars out, it does have a few downsides. For one, the cost, which stands at 2,998,000 U.S. dollars. Hey, it’s under $3 million though! Of the 500 units they will make, 120 of them have already been accounted for. On average, the people that bought the Bugatti Chiron own 64 cars, 3 jets, 3 helicopters, and a yacht. Of course, for the features and quality of the car, it is a fair price. Another downside to the car has to do with the engine. Unlike its closest competitors like the P1, LaFerrari, and Porsche 918, the W16 engine is not a hybrid engine. It runs solely on fossil fuels, damaging both the Earth and the owner’s purse. However, the current CEO of Bugatti stated that the hybrid engine would be top heavy and that the car wouldn’t even need it because they made the car perfectly. Another problem, a small one, is the temperature management. Underneath the skin of the Chiron are 10 extremely cramped radiators. The problem is mostly fixed with it’s multiple intakes and Bugatti Line.

Other than a few minor problems that are either fixed with other components or that are reasonable, the Bugatti Chiron is perfect. It is the fastest commercially produced car in the world, and it looks great. It’s a supercar that’s luxurious, which is unlike any other car. Alan L., an eighth grader at Kraemer Middle School says, “The Bugatti Chiron is just simply a masterpiece.” The Bugatti Chiron is, in my opinion, a unique car that definitely made history.