Filed under Opinion

Should Schools Offer Cash Bonuses for Good Test Scores?

via StockSnap

via StockSnap

Throughout the last decade, a growing number of schools have adopted a new method of improving test performances. This method involves paying students as well as their teachers with cash for the student’s passing test score. In fact, some high schools have allowed students to enroll in their Advanced Placement course, and rewarded those and their teachers who scored a 3 or higher with $100 each. There have been constant debates and discussions on whether schools should or should not offer this opportunity to students and teachers. Without a doubt, schools should offer cash bonuses to students and teachers for good test scores.

The program is run by a non-profit organization known as AP Strategies. When there are not enough donors, however, the money will have to come from the government, which will probably result in more tax dollars. Nonetheless, this problem can easily be solved by rewarding students and teachers with about $20 dollars instead of $100.

To add on, giving the students cash bonuses will benefit the student both financially as well as educationally. This is because the student will learn money management skills, such as saving up money or spending cash wisely, which will prepare the student for the real world. Also, if the student is smart enough to receive passing test scores, there is a huge chance that the student would use the money to save up for college, instead of spending it for unbeneficial reasons.

Finally, the most important reason why students and teachers should be rewarded money for passing test scores is because the money will motivate students to study harder for tests. It will also encourage teachers to do their best to prepare students for upcoming tests. For example, ten high schools from Dallas, Texas decided to adopt the program in 1996. Since then, the number of AP tests taken at those schools dramatically increased from about 250 to 4,000. Additionally, the number of passing scores also soared from about 200 to about 1,200. To add on, there is a clear increase in the number of high school students taking a minimum of one AP or IB test. From this survey, many were able to conclude that the percentage of students taking these exams nearly doubled. With the help of the program, the number of students taking and passing college entrance exams undoubtedly rose.

Countless people strongly believe that schools should give students and teachers the opportunity to earn money by receiving passing test scores. Kraemer student Kaitlin K., gives her opinion on the topic saying, “I think both sides have their pros and cons, but it would be nice to be rewarded money for passing a test.” Although adopting this program will have its cons, the pros of it definitely outweigh its cons.