Filed under Campus Life

Kraemer’s NJHS and Love Placentia

Kraemer families did their best to make Kraemer cleaner.

Just over the past weekend on April 29th, Kraemer’s own NJHS participated in Love Placentia. NJHS, also known as the National Junior Honor Society, is one of the many school clubs located at Kraemer. NJHS is a national honor society that aims to recognize outstanding middle school students through participating in community service and service projects. Kraemer’s NJHS members all strive to make Kraemer a better place each day by bringing awareness to their fellow students about less fortunate people, cleaning up after themselves, and helping their community.

Every semester, NJHS members are expected to maintain at least a cumulative 3.6 GPA, as well as collecting a total of at least ten hours of community service per semester. Before actually becoming a member of this club, specific seventh grade students at Kraemer are given a letter saying that they are potential candidates for becoming members of NJHS. Only specific students pass this first hurdle since students have to have a cumulative 3.6 GPA in their seventh grade year, as well as having a good, clean record. After passing the first hurdle of maintaining at least a 3.6 GPA, possible candidates for NJHS are then required to fill out the application, with questions relating to their community service life and their extracurriculars. Once accepted into this prestigious society, the exciting part of being a NJHS member begins!

Members of NJHS begin their typical meeting with one of the five officers hosting the meeting, which always takes place during PRIDE. The sessions are split into two days and members typically attend the day that they are assigned to. One of the officers records the meeting minutes and meetings generally talk about future projects and enriching activities to help strengthen every member’s character.

Along with all of the exciting events and projects that NJHS puts together and participates in, Kraemer’s NJHS participated in Love Placentia. The day began at 8 am at El Dorado High School. NJHS members and their family enjoyed a nice, complimentary breakfast, as well as receiving their free t-shirts which said “I Love Placentia” on them. At El Dorado High School, members experienced a rally, along with walking around from booth to booth to see what vendors have to offer them. When the rally and breakfast ended at 9 am, members were ready to take on the challenge of beautifying their campus.

At 9:30, NJHS members gathered at Kraemer Middle School to begin the exciting school campus cleanup. Members had their blue Love Placentia shirts on and with the powerful winds, what could be better than to rake leaves and wash windows? Students and their family members were split into a few groups to tackle all the areas that needed to be freshened up. Some people hosed down and washed windows, many members spread mulch inside of the planters and in areas in need of mulch, many members helped transfer the mulch, some wiped down the lunch tables, some used rakes to rake up leaves, and many of Kraemer’s NJHS members had a great time. Even though the winds were very heavy that day, many volunteers say that it was still a breeze to rake up leaves. For volunteers who washed windows and doors, they used a hose and a cleanser to clean the windows and doors. For the people who spread mulch, they had to use full-size rakes and shovels to make the planters look beautiful and to give the plants some insulation and to fertilize the soil. Those who raked leaves had a harder time due to the wind, but the wind did not stop them.

Kraemer’s NJHS is proud to conclude their chapter with this service event. Sad to say goodbye to the 2017 chapter of Kraemer Middle School, NJHS members are glad to say that their year with NJHS was well-spent and worth the cause. Students who participated in NJHS feel that they have made Kraemer a cleaner and more welcoming environment. Definitely consider joining NJHS if you meet the criterias! Secretary of Kraemer’s NJHS, Tejal P., says, “I am so glad that I am in NJHS. NJHS has shaped me to become a better person and this final project was a great way to wrap up the school year.”