The Martian Book Review

Mark Watney, the main protagonist who works to survive on Mars.

via NDTV Gadgets

via NDTV Gadgets

Here’s a story that will delight most tech geeks out there in the world. The book called The Martian is about an astronaut who is left behind on the surface of Mars and faces daily struggles in order to stay alive. Ryan H., a student at Kraemer Middle School, says, “The book is thrilling and adventurous!”

After the Ares 3 mission to Mars goes wrong due to bad conditions, the crew is forced to abandon and leave behind Mark Watney, a fellow astronaut, because they think he was killed by some flying debris. In reality however,  Mark is very much alive with some minor injuries. Mark could have easily just died and been the first man to die on Mars, however,he decides to stay alive and hopefully get back to Earth.

While Mark stays on Mars alone, he faces problems such as running out of food and water. Also, another problem is that he has no communication with Earth, meaning that nobody knows that he is still alive on Mars. Eventually, NASA looks at satellite images of Mars, and find that Mark is alive and kicking. Then, they continue to watch his every move, like how Mark finds Pathfinder, a rover from the 1900’s that he can use to talk with NASA.

Sadly  even though Mark is now able to communicate with NASA, the reality of surviving is still bleak. The first negative blow to his survival is that it will take four years for a new Mars crew to come to Mars and save him.The second part of that bad news is that Mark needs to make his own food if he wants to keep himself alive. Mars has one of the harshest environments touched by man, so growing food will be a struggle.

Nonetheless, Mark sciences his butt off in order to make his own food. He creates a farm out of baby potatoes and creates soil using feces from the restroom to create live bacteria soil. Just when all things starts to go right, a huge explosion goes off due to unstable pressure and this kills all of his soil and forces Mark to stop planting.

However despite Mark’s problem, NASA comes up with a genius idea of saving Mark in a shorter amount of time. The plan is to send the Ares 3 crew back to Mars using the gravity to pull the ship around 180°. Despite it being risky, NASA gives it a shot and sends the Ares 3 crew back to Mars.

Ultimately, Mark Watney boards on the ship safe and sound. After two years of loneliness, he gets to get back with his astronaut friends and family yet again. He’s all in one piece and headed for Earth, but he probably lost his taste for potatoes for a long time.